Definitions for cadetkəˈdɛt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word cadet
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a student in a national service academy or private military school or on a training ship.
a student in training for service as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Coast Guard.
a trainee in a business or profession.
a younger son or brother.
the youngest son.
Slang. a pimp.
Category: Status (usage)
Origin of cadet:
1600–10; < F < Gascon capdet chief, captain (referring to the younger sons of noble families)
a military trainee (as at a military academy)
A student at a military school who is training to be an officer.
Junior, the younger or youngest son.
the younger of two brothers; a younger brother or son; the youngest son
a gentleman who carries arms in a regiment, as a volunteer, with a view of acquiring military skill and obtaining a commission
a young man in training for military or naval service; esp. a pupil in a military or naval school, as at West Point, Annapolis, or Woolwich
A cadet is a trainee. The term is frequently used to refer those training to become an officer in the military, often a person who is a junior trainee. Its meaning may vary between countries. The term is also used in civilian contexts and as a general attributive, for example in its original sense of a branch of a ruling house which is not currently in the direct line of succession.
Translations for cadet
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a student in a military, naval or police school
an army cadet; a police cadet.
- طالب طالِبُ مَدْرَسَةٍ عَسْكَرِيَّهArabic
- cadetePortuguese (BR)
- der KadettGerman
- officerselev; kadetDanish
- μαθητής στρατιωτικής σχολής, δόκιμοςGreek
- دانشجوی دانشکدۀ افسریFarsi
- élève officierFrench
- צוֹעֵר, שוֹחֵרHebrew
- कैडेट, सैनिक विद्यालय का विद्यार्थीHindi
- kadett, nemi (liðsforingjaefni, liðsforingjanema-)Icelandic
- 사관학교 생도Korean
- słuchacz szkoły wojskowej itp.Polish
- دانشجوی دانشکدۀ افسریPersian
- كشرزوى: دعسكرى ښوونځى زده كوونكىPashto
- kadett, aspirantSwedish
- kadet; harb okulu/polis kolejiöğrencisiTurkish
- 軍校或警校學生Chinese (Trad.)
- курсант військового училищаUkrainian
- فوجی ، بحریہ یا پولیس کے اسکول کا طالب علمUrdu
- học viên trường sỹ quanVietnamese
- 军校或警校学生Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for cadet »
Find a translation for the cadet definition in other languages:
Select another language: