a support usually of stone or brick; supports the wall of a building
reinforce with a buttress
"Buttress the church"
make stronger or defensible
"buttress your thesis"
A brick or stone structure built against another structure to support it.
Anything that serves to support something; a prop.
A feature jutting prominently out from a mountain or rock; a crag, a bluff.
Crowell Buttresses, Dismal Buttress, Hourglass Buttress, Kardam Buttress, Seven Buttresses uE000231169uE001
To support something physically with, or as if with, a prop or buttress.
To support something or someone by supplying evidence; to corroborate or substantiate.
Origin: From bouterez, bouteret, from *, from bautanan ( > English beat).
a projecting mass of masonry, used for resisting the thrust of an arch, or for ornament and symmetry
anything which supports or strengthens
to support with a buttress; to prop; to brace firmly
A buttress is an architectural structure built against or projecting from a wall which serves to support or reinforce the wall. Buttresses are fairly common on more ancient buildings, as a means of providing support to act against the lateral forces arising out of the roof structures that lack adequate bracing. The term counterfort can be synonymous with buttress, and is often used when referring to dams, retaining walls and other structures holding back earth.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
but′res, n. a projecting support built on to the outside of a wall: any support or prop.—v.t. to prop or support, as by a buttress. [Acc. to Dr Murray, perh. from O. Fr. bouterez, apparently from bouter, to push, bear against.]
The numerical value of buttress in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of buttress in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Images & Illustrations of buttress
Translations for buttress
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- контрафорс, рид, подпирам, опора, поддържамBulgarian
- contrafortCatalan, Valencian
- opora, opěrný pilířCzech
- unterstützen, verstärken, Stütze, stützen, Strebepfeiler, StützpfeilerGerman
- afianzar, corroborar, apuntalar, contrafuerte, botereteSpanish
- tuki, tukea, tukipilariFinnish
- contrefort, corroborer, arc-boutant, appui, arc-bouter, corroborationFrench
- նեցուկ, հենարանArmenian
- sostenere, sperone, appoggiare, contrafforti, corroborare, contrafforte, corroborazione, rafforzare, supportoItalian
- hirinaki, whirinakiMāori
- steun, ondersteunen, stut, beer, stutten, steunbeer, onderbouwenDutch
- støtte, understøtteNorwegian
- podpora, przypora, podpieraćPolish
- контрфорс, опора, подпоркаRussian
- potporanj, podboltati, poduprijeti, podupiračSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for buttress »
Find a translation for the buttress definition in other languages:
Select another language: