Definitions for buildingˈbɪl dɪŋ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word building
a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place
"there was a three-story building on the corner"; "it was an imposing edifice"
the act of constructing something
"during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones
"their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades"
the occupants of a building
"the entire building complained about the noise"
The act or process of building.
The building of the bridge will be completed in a couple of weeks.
A closed structure with walls and a roof.
My sister lives in that apartment building.
the act of constructing, erecting, or establishing
the art of constructing edifices, or the practice of civil architecture
that which is built; a fabric or edifice constructed, as a house, a church, etc
In architecture, construction, engineering, real estate development and technology the term building refers to one of the following: ⁕Any human-made structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or continuous occupancy, or ⁕An act of construction In this article, the first usage is generally intended unless otherwise specified. Buildings come in a wide amount of shapes and functions, and have been adapted throughout history for a wide number of factors, from building materials available, to weather conditions, to land prices, ground conditions, specific uses and aesthetic reasons. Buildings serve several needs of society – primarily as shelter from weather and as general living space, to provide privacy, to store belongings and to comfortably live and work. A building as a shelter represents a physical division of the human habitat and the outside. Ever since the first cave paintings, buildings have also become objects or canvasess of artistic expression. In recent years, interest in sustainable planning and building practices has also become part of the design process of many new buildings.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'building' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #596
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'building' in Written Corpus Frequency: #679
Rank popularity for the word 'building' in Nouns Frequency: #142
The numerical value of building in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of building in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Nobody is talking about building a wall around the United States, oh, I beg your pardon, there is one guy who is talking about building a wall. Let me rephrase it: no rational person is talking about building a wall.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
The great successful men of the world have used their imagination...they think ahead and create their mental picture in all it details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this a bit and that a bit, but steadily building--steadily building.
In order to build the Great Synagogue in the 17th and 18th centuries they dug down two floors below the level of the street to give the worshippers in the synagogue the experience of a vaulted five story building even though the building appeared from the outside as only a three story building.
The great successful men of the world have used their imaginations, they think ahead and create their mental picture, and then go to work materializing that picture in all its details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this a bit and that bit, but steadily building, steadily building.
Images & Illustrations of building
Translations for building
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دار, بِنَايَةٌ, مَبنى, بناءArabic
- bina, tikmə, tikinti, inşaatAzerbaijani
- дом, буды́нак, будаўні́цтваBelarusian
- дом, изгра́ждане, къ̀ща, граде́ж, зда́ние, сгра́да, строи́телство, постро́йкаBulgarian
- ཁང་པTibetan Standard
- construcció, edificiCatalan, Valencian
- stavba, budování, dům, výstavba, budovaCzech
- adeilad, adeiladuWelsh
- bygning, byggeri, opførelseDanish
- Bau, Bauen, GebäudeGerman
- κτίριο, κτίσμα, οικοδομή, δόμησηGreek
- konstruado, konstruaĵoEsperanto
- edificación, construcción, edificioSpanish
- ehitama, hooneEstonian
- eraikin, eraikinaBasque
- ساختمون, بنا, ساختمان, عمارتPersian
- rakennus, rakentaminen, rakennustaitoFinnish
- bâtiment, immeuble, construction, édificeFrench
- togalach, togailScottish Gaelic
- בניין, בנייהHebrew
- निर्माण, इमारत, भवनHindi
- batiman, bildingHaitian Creole
- épület, felépítés, építés, építkezésHungarian
- շենք, շինարարությունArmenian
- konstruksi, pembangunan, bangunan, gedungIndonesian
- costruzione, edificazione, palazzo, edificioItalian
- ビルディング, 建築, 建設, 建造, ビル, 建物Japanese
- შენება, შენობაGeorgian
- үй, ғимаратKazakh
- 建設, 건물, 建物, 건설, 빌딩Korean
- بیناکردن, بیناKurdish
- куруу, конструкциялоо, үй, чогултуу, салуу, жасоо, имарат, курулуш, кураштыруу, тургузуу, конструкция, көтөрүүKyrgyz
- constructio, aedificiumLatin
- GebaiLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ຕຶກ, ການກໍ່ສ້າງLao
- pastatas, statyba, statinysLithuanian
- celšana, ēka, celtne, būvēšanaLatvian
- и́зградба, дом, ку́ќа, зда́ние, згра́даMacedonian
- барьсан зүйл, барилгаMongolian
- pembinaan, pembangunan, bangunanMalay
- bouwen, bouw, gebouwDutch
- konstruere, bygge, bygningNorwegian
- dom, budować, budynek, budowaPolish
- جوړول, ماڼۍPashto, Pushto
- edificação, prédio, edifício, construçãoPortuguese
- construire, clădire, edificiu, edificareRomanian
- зда́ние, дом, стро́йка, строе́ние, констру́кция, строи́тельство, постро́йкаRussian
- भवन, निर्माणSanskrit
- dȍm, згра̏да, zgrȁda, kȕća, izgrádnja, зда́ње, гра́дња, grádnja, ку̏ћа, изгра́дња, до̏м, zdánjeSerbo-Croatian
- stavba, dom, budovaSlovak
- hiša, stavba, zgradba, gradnjaSlovene
- bygge, hus, byggnad, byggande, byggnation, byggnadsverksamhetSwedish
- jengo, jengaSwahili
- భవంతి, కట్టడము, కట్టుబడిTelugu
- бино, иморатTajik
- อาคาร, ตึกThai
- ymarat, binaTurkmen
- inşa, inşaat, binaTurkish
- дім, спору́да, буди́нок, будівни́цтвоUkrainian
- تعمیر, بھون, عمارتUrdu
- qirilish, binoUzbek
- toà nhàVietnamese
- bum, bumot, bumam, bumotilem, bumotem, bumotilVolapük
Get even more translations for building »
Find a translation for the building definition in other languages:
Select another language: