Definitions for brilliantˈbrɪl yənt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word brilliant
of surpassing excellence
"a brilliant performance"; "a superb actor"
brainy, brilliant, smart as a whip(adj)
having or marked by unusual and impressive intelligence
"some men dislike brainy women"; "a brilliant mind"; "a brilliant solution to the problem"
brilliant, glorious, magnificent, splendid(adj)
characterized by grandeur
"the brilliant court life at Versailles"; "a glorious work of art"; "magnificent cathedrals"; "the splendid coronation ceremony"
bright, brilliant, vivid(adj)
having striking color
"bright dress"; "brilliant tapestries"; "a bird with vivid plumage"
full of light; shining intensely
"a brilliant star"; "brilliant chandeliers"
clear and sharp and ringing
"the bright sound of the trumpet section"; "the brilliant sound of the trumpets"
a finely cut gemstone, especially a diamond, having many facets
the brilliant lights along the promenade
both light and saturated
butterflies with brilliant blue wings
having a sharp, clear tone
of surpassing excellence
The actor's performance in the play was simply brilliant.
magnificent or wonderful
She is a brilliant scientist.
Origin: From brillant, from as if *, from berillus, beryllus, from βήρυλλος.
sparkling with luster; glittering; very bright; as, a brilliant star
distinguished by qualities which excite admiration; splendid; shining; as, brilliant talents
a diamond or other gem of the finest cut, formed into faces and facets, so as to reflect and refract the light, by which it is rendered more brilliant. It has at the middle, or top, a principal face, called the table, which is surrounded by a number of sloping facets forming a bizet; below, it has a small face or collet, parallel to the table, connected with the girdle by a pavilion of elongated facets. It is thus distinguished from the rose diamond, which is entirely covered with facets on the surface, and is flat below
the smallest size of type used in England printing
a kind of cotton goods, figured on the weaving
Brilliant were a British pop/rock group active in the 1980s. Although not commercially successful and mauled by the critics, they remain notable because of the personnel involved - Martin Glover aka Youth, formerly of Killing Joke and subsequently a top producer/remixer; Jimmy Cauty, later to find fame and fortune as one half of The KLF; and Ben Watkins aka Juno Reactor. Equally notable was their management, their record company A&R manager, and songwriting and production team.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'brilliant' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3423
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'brilliant' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1032
Rank popularity for the word 'brilliant' in Adjectives Frequency: #393
Translations for brilliant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ярък, блестящ, брилянт, искрящ, великолепенBulgarian
- brillant, clarCatalan, Valencian
- Brillant, genial, strahlendGerman
- kirkas, loistava, briljantti, säteilevä, nerokasFinnish
- lucente, meraviglioso, brillante, gemma, talentuoso, fantastico, di successo, splendente, superlativo, sgargiante, eccezionale, squillante, geniale, pietra preziosa, luccicanteItalian
- izcils, spožs, spilgtsLatvian
- virtuoos, briljant, geniaal, stralend, schitterend, meesterlijkDutch
- lysende, strålende, genial, klar, enestående, storslagenNorwegian
- genialny, błyszczący, znakomity, świetnyPolish
- brilhante, claroPortuguese
- блестящий, сочный, блистательный, бриллиант, великолепный, сверкающий, хрустальныйRussian
- lysande, strålande, briljant, genialisk, begåvad, glänsande, storslagen, gnistrande, mästerlig, högt, virtuosmässigSwedish
Get even more translations for brilliant »
Find a translation for the brilliant definition in other languages:
Select another language: