Definitions for breakfastˈbrɛk fəst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word breakfast
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the first meal of the day; morning meal.
(v.i.)to eat breakfast.
(v.t.)to supply with breakfast.
Origin of breakfast:
the first meal of the day (usually in the morning)
eat an early morning meal
"We breakfast at seven"
provide breakfast for
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a morning meal
***to have eggs and bacon for breakfast
The first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning.
A meal consisting of food normally eaten in the morning, which may typically include eggs, sausages, toast, bacon, etc.
We serve breakfast all day.
To eat the morning meal.
He breakfasted on pizza and Coke.
To serve breakfast to.
Origin: From break + fast; to end the nightly fast.
the first meal in the day, or that which is eaten at the first meal
a meal after fasting, or food in general
to break one's fast in the morning; too eat the first meal in the day
to furnish with breakfast
Breakfast is the first meal taken after rising from a night's sleep, most often eaten in the early morning before undertaking the day's work. Among English speakers, "breakfast" can be used to refer to this meal or to refer to a meal composed of traditional breakfast foods served at any time of day. The word literally refers to breaking the fasting period of the prior night. Breakfast foods vary widely from place to place, but often include a carbohydrate such as grains or cereals, fruit and/or vegetables, a protein food such as eggs, meat or fish, and a beverage such as tea, coffee or fruit juice. Coffee, tea, juice, breakfast cereals, pancakes, sausages, bacon, sweet breads, fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, muffins, crumpets and toast with butter or margarine and/or jam or marmalade are common examples of breakfast foods, though a large range of preparations and ingredients are associated with breakfast globally. Nutritional experts have referred to breakfast as the most important meal of the day, citing studies that find that people who skip breakfast are disproportionately likely to have problems with concentration, metabolism, and weight. The nutritionist Monica Reinagel has argued the metabolic benefits have been exaggerated, noting the improvement in cognition has been found among children, but is much less significant among adults. Reinagel also explains that the link between skipping breakfast and increased weight is likely behavioral—compensating with snacks and/or eating more later—and therefore not inevitable.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'breakfast' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2476
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'breakfast' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1779
Rank popularity for the word 'breakfast' in Nouns Frequency: #1020
Anagrams of breakfast
Translations for breakfast
From our Multilingual Dictionary
- إفطار, فطورArabic
- səhər yeməyiAzerbaijani
- закусвам, закускаBulgarian
- lein, dijuniñBreton
- esmorzarCatalan, Valencian
- snídat, snídaněCzech
- borefwyd, brecwastWelsh
- Zmorge, Morgenessen, Frühstück, frühstückenGerman
- προγευματίζω, πρωινό, πρόγευμα, παίρνω πρωινόGreek
- matenmanĝo, matenmanĝiEsperanto
- desayuno, desayunarSpanish
- gosaldu, gosariBasque
- صبحانه, ناشتاPersian
- aamupala, aamiainenFinnish
- petit déjeuner, déjeuner, prendre le petit-déjeunerFrench
- moarnsiten, brea-itenWestern Frisian
- कलेवा, नाश्ताHindi
- dejeneHaitian Creole
- reggeli, reggelizikHungarian
- նախաճաշել, նախաճաշArmenian
- fru-dejuneto, dejunetoIdo
- dögurður, morgunmatur, árbítur, morgunverðurIcelandic
- colazione, prima colazioneItalian
- 朝御飯, 朝飯, 朝食Japanese
- 조반, 朝飯, 아침 식사Korean
- prandium, ientaculumLatin
- ອາຫານເຊົ້າ, ເຂົ້າເຊົ້າLao
- појадок, доручек, појадува, доручкуваMacedonian
- bersarapan, sarapan, برسارڤنMalay
- fatra, brejkfast, kolazzjonMaltese
- မနက်စာ, မနက်စာစားBurmese
- ontbijt, ontbijtenDutch
- frukost, frokostNorwegian
- abínígo daʼadánígííNavajo, Navaho
- gigizhebaa-wiisiniwinOjibwe, Ojibwa
- śniadanie, śniadaćPolish
- café da manhã, desjejuar, mata-bicho, pequeno-almoço, desjejumPortuguese
- mic dejun, lua micul dejunRomanian
- поза́втракать, завтрак, за́втракатьRussian
- doručak, зајутарковати, доручак, zàjutārkovati, доручковати, dòručkovatiSerbo-Croatian
- raňajkovať, raňajkySlovak
- zajtrk, zajtrkovatiSlovene
- dijo tsa hoseng, mofihloloSouthern Sotho
- äta, frukostSwedish
- chakula cha asubuhiSwahili
- almusál, agahanTagalog
- kahvaltı etmek, kahvaltı yapmak, kahvaltıTurkish
- ناشتاUyghur, Uighur
- کلیوا, ناشتاUrdu
- bữa sángVietnamese
Find a translation for the breakfast definition in other languages:
Select another language: