Definitions for boldness
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
not hesitating or fearful in the face of danger; courageous.
scorning or ignoring the rules of propriety; forward; impudent.
requiring courage and daring:
beyond the usual limits of conventional thought or action; inventive or imaginative:
a bold solution to a perplexing problem.
striking or conspicuous to the eye; flashy; showy:
a bold pattern.
a bold promontory.
typeset in boldface.
Obs. trusting; assured.
* Syn: bold , brazen , forward , presumptuous refer to behavior or manners that break the rules of propriety. bold suggests shamelessness and immodesty: a bold stare. brazen suggests the same, together with a defiant manner: a brazen liar. forward implies making oneself unduly prominent or bringing oneself to notice with too much assurance: The forward young man challenged the speaker. presumptuous implies overconfidence, or taking too much for granted: It was presumptuous of her to think she could defeat the champion.
Origin of bold:
bef. 1000; ME bald, bold, OE b(e)ald; c. OS, OHG bald, ON ballr dire
boldness, daring, hardiness, hardihood(noun)
the trait of being willing to undertake things that involve risk or danger
"the proposal required great boldness"; "the plan required great hardiness of heart"
boldness, nerve, brass, face, cheek(noun)
"I couldn't believe her boldness"; "he had the effrontery to question my honesty"
the quality of standing out strongly and distinctly
The state of being bold; courage; presumptuousness.
The relative weight of a font; the thickness of its strokes.
the state or quality of being bold
Translations for boldness
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(of type) thick and clear, like this .
- جُرأةٍ، جَسارَةٍArabic
- ousadiaPortuguese (BR)
- smělost, drzostCzech
- die KühnheitGerman
- θάρρος, θρασύτηταGreek
- جسارت؛ بی پرواییFarsi
- ardire, coraggioItalian
- drosme; pārdrošībaLatvian
- dristighet, djervhetNorwegian
- جسارت؛ بی پرواییPersian
- بی پرواییPashto
- смелость; наглостьRussian
- cesaret, yüreklilikTurkish
- 大膽Chinese (Trad.)
- сміливість, зухвалістьUkrainian
- sự táo bạoVietnamese
- 大胆Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for boldness »