Definitions for berthbɜrθ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word berth
position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation(noun)
a job in an organization
"he occupied a post in the treasury"
mooring, moorage, berth, slip(noun)
a place where a craft can be made fast
berth, bunk, built in bed(verb)
a bed on a ship or train; usually in tiers
provide with a berth
moor, berth, tie up(verb)
secure in or as if in a berth or dock
"tie up the boat"
moor, berth, wharf(verb)
come into or dock at a wharf
"the big ship wharfed in the evening"
A fixed bunk for sleeping in (caravans, trains, etc).
Room for maneuvering or safety. (Often used in the phrase a wide berth.)
A space for a ship to moor or a vehicle to park.
A job or position, especially on a ship.
Position or seed in a tournament bracket.
to bring (a ship or vehicle) into its berth
to assign a berth (bunk or position) to
Origin: Origin obscure, but apparently from *, equivalent to .
convenient sea room
a room in which a number of the officers or ship's company mess and reside
the place where a ship lies when she is at anchor, or at a wharf
an allotted place; an appointment; situation or employment
a place in a ship to sleep in; a long box or shelf on the side of a cabin or stateroom, or of a railway car, for sleeping in
to give an anchorage to, or a place to lie at; to place in a berth; as, she was berthed stem to stern with the Adelaide
to allot or furnish berths to, on shipboard; as, to berth a ship's company
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
An aid to sleep, invented by Pullman. Lower preferred. BIRTH An aid to life, discovered by Woman. Higher preferred.
Translations for berth
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- закотвям, корабно място, длъжност, акостирам, койка, място за спанеBulgarian
- camarotCatalan, Valencian
- Landungsplatz, anlegen, Koje, Schlafplatz, Ladeplatz, LiegeplatzGerman
- camarote, atraque, amarraSpanish
- punkka, laituripaikka, pysäköintiruutu, kiinnittyä, pelivara, venepaikka, rantautuaFinnish
- couchette, marge de manœuvreFrench
- ágy, alvóhelyHungarian
- navoliteto, trenoliteto, kabinetolito, litetoIdo
- attracco, cuccetta, attraccareItalian
- バース, 寝台Japanese
- kooi, ligplaats, aanleggen, aanmerenDutch
- atracar, camarote, vagaPortuguese
- должность, полка, место, причаливать, причалить, причал, койка, спальное место, якорное местоRussian
- sovplats, kojSwedish
Get even more translations for berth »
Find a translation for the berth definition in other languages:
Select another language: