Definitions for berthbɜrθ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word berth
position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation(noun)
a job in an organization
"he occupied a post in the treasury"
mooring, moorage, berth, slip(noun)
a place where a craft can be made fast
berth, bunk, built in bed(verb)
a bed on a ship or train; usually in tiers
provide with a berth
moor, berth, tie up(verb)
secure in or as if in a berth or dock
"tie up the boat"
moor, berth, wharf(verb)
come into or dock at a wharf
"the big ship wharfed in the evening"
A fixed bunk for sleeping in (caravans, trains, etc).
Room for maneuvering or safety. (Often used in the phrase a wide berth.)
A space for a ship to moor or a vehicle to park.
A job or position, especially on a ship.
Position or seed in a tournament bracket.
to bring (a ship or vehicle) into its berth
to assign a berth (bunk or position) to
Origin: Origin obscure, but apparently from *, equivalent to .
convenient sea room
a room in which a number of the officers or ship's company mess and reside
the place where a ship lies when she is at anchor, or at a wharf
an allotted place; an appointment; situation or employment
a place in a ship to sleep in; a long box or shelf on the side of a cabin or stateroom, or of a railway car, for sleeping in
to give an anchorage to, or a place to lie at; to place in a berth; as, she was berthed stem to stern with the Adelaide
to allot or furnish berths to, on shipboard; as, to berth a ship's company
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
An aid to sleep, invented by Pullman. Lower preferred. BIRTH An aid to life, discovered by Woman. Higher preferred.
Images & Illustrations of berth
Translations for berth
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- закотвям, корабно място, длъжност, акостирам, койка, място за спанеBulgarian
- camarotCatalan, Valencian
- Landungsplatz, anlegen, Koje, Schlafplatz, Ladeplatz, LiegeplatzGerman
- camarote, atraque, amarra, literaSpanish
- punkka, laituripaikka, pysäköintiruutu, kiinnittyä, pelivara, venepaikka, rantautuaFinnish
- couchette, marge de manœuvreFrench
- ágy, alvóhelyHungarian
- navoliteto, trenoliteto, kabinetolito, litetoIdo
- attracco, cuccetta, attraccareItalian
- バース, 寝台Japanese
- kooi, ligplaats, aanleggen, aanmerenDutch
- atracar, camarote, vagaPortuguese
- должность, полка, место, причаливать, причалить, причал, койка, спальное место, якорное местоRussian
- sovplats, kojSwedish
Get even more translations for berth »
Find a translation for the berth definition in other languages:
Select another language: