financial assistance in time of need
something that aids or promotes well-being
"for the benefit of all"
a performance to raise money for a charitable cause
profit, gain, benefit(verb)
derive a benefit from
"She profited from his vast experience"
benefit, do good(verb)
be beneficial for
"This will do you good"
An advantage, help or aid from something.
A payment made in accordance with an insurance policy or a public assistance scheme.
A performance, etc, given to raise funds for some cause.
To be or to provide a benefit to.
To receive a benefit (from). To be a beneficiary.
Origin: From Late benefytt, benefett, alteration (due to bene-) of benfet, bienfet, bienfait, from benfet, bienfait, from bienfet, bienfait, from past participle of bienfaire, from bien + faire, modelled after benefactum. More at benefactor.
an act of kindness; a favor conferred
whatever promotes prosperity and personal happiness, or adds value to property; advantage; profit
a theatrical performance, a concert, or the like, the proceeds of which do not go to the lessee of the theater or to the company, but to some individual actor, or to some charitable use
natural advantages; endowments; accomplishments
to be beneficial to; to do good to; to advantage; to advance in health or prosperity; to be useful to; to profit
to gain advantage; to make improvement; to profit; as, he will benefit by the change
Benefit is the third album by Jethro Tull, released in April 1970. It was the first Tull album to include pianist and organist John Evan – though he was not yet a permanent member of the group – and the last to include bass guitarist Glenn Cornick. It reached No. 3 in the UK album charts. More hard-rocking and transcended from blues influences than its predecessor, Stand Up, it also incorporated more advanced studio techniques, such as backward-recorded flute and piano, and sped-up guitar.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ben′e-fit, n. a kindness: a favour: any advantage, natural or other: a performance at a theatre, the proceeds of which go to one of the company.—v.t. to do good to.—v.i. to gain advantage (with from),—ns. Ben′efit-of-cler′gy, in old English law, the exemption of the persons of ecclesiastics from criminal process before a secular judge, they being responsible only to their ordinary. This privilege, at first limited to those in actual orders, was in 1350 extended to all manner of clerks, and in later practice to all who could read, whether of clergy or laity; Ben′efit-of-in′ventory (Scots law), a legal privilege whereby an heir secured himself against unlimited liability for his ancestor, by giving up within the annus deliberandi an inventory of his heritage or real estate, to the extent of which alone was the heir liable.—Benefit societies, associations for mutual benefit chiefly among the labouring classes, better known as Friendly societies. [M. E. benfet, through Fr. from L. benefactum.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'benefit' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1391
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'benefit' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1066
Rank popularity for the word 'benefit' in Nouns Frequency: #265
Rank popularity for the word 'benefit' in Verbs Frequency: #436
The numerical value of benefit in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of benefit in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Images & Illustrations of benefit
Translations for benefit
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- доход, ползвам някого, социална помощ, изгода, бенефис, ползаBulgarian
- benefici, beneficiarCatalan, Valencian
- výhoda, prospětCzech
- von Vorteil sein, Leistung, Benefizkonzert, Vorteil, Benefizveranstaltung, profitierenGerman
- επίδομα, ευεργετώ, ωφέλεια, ωφελώ, ωφελούμαι, όφελος, ευεργετούμαιGreek
- avantaĝo, profiti, profito, benefico, subvencio, utiloEsperanto
- beneficio, beneficiar, ventajaSpanish
- بهره بردنPersian
- etu, korvaus, lahjaottelu, avustus, lahjanäytös, hyöty, lahjanäytäntöFinnish
- subvention, profiter, bénéfice, avantageFrench
- prothaidScottish Gaelic
- օգուտ, նպաստArmenian
- beneficio, avantageInterlingua
- 役立つ, 公益, 手当, 慈善興行, 利益, 恩恵, 得する, 給付金Japanese
- 자선행사, 수당, 이익, 급부, 이롭다, 견리하다Korean
- faedah, kebaikanMalay
- voordeel, subsidie, uitkering, benefietconcert, nut, benefietDutch
- subsídio, beneficente, pagamento, benefícioPortuguese
- beneficiu, beneficii, avantajRomanian
- преимущество, бенефис, пособие, выгода, льгота, социальная помощь, прок, польза, благо, прибыль, толкRussian
- gynna, gagnas, gagna, understöd, bidrag, dra fördel av, gynnasSwedish
Get even more translations for benefit »
Find a translation for the benefit definition in other languages:
Select another language: