Definitions for ballotˈbæl ət
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ballot
a document listing the alternatives that is used in voting
vote, ballot, voting, balloting(verb)
a choice that is made by counting the number of people in favor of each alternative
"there were only 17 votes in favor of the motion"; "they allowed just one vote per person"
vote by ballot
"The voters were balloting in this state"
a paper or card used to cast a vote
the process of voting, especially in secret
a list of candidates running for office; a ticket
the total of all votes cast in an election
to draw lots
Origin: From ballotta, a small ball used to register a vote.
originally, a ball used for secret voting. Hence: Any printed or written ticket used in voting
the act of voting by balls or written or printed ballots or tickets; the system of voting secretly by balls or by tickets
the whole number of votes cast at an election, or in a given territory or electoral district
to vote or decide by ballot; as, to ballot for a candidate
to vote for or in opposition to
A ballot is a device used to cast votes in an election, and may be a piece of paper or a small ball used in secret voting. It was originally a small ball — see blackball - used to record decisions made by voters. Each voter uses one ballot, and ballots are not shared. In the simplest elections, a ballot may be a simple scrap of paper on which each voter writes in the name of a candidate, but governmental elections use pre-printed to protect the secrecy of the votes. The voter casts his/her ballot in a box at a polling station. In British English, this is usually called a "ballot paper". The word "ballot" is used for an election process within an organisation.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'ballot' in Nouns Frequency: #2819
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I wasn't on the ballot in Maryland.
The ballot is stronger than bullets.
The ballot is stronger than the bullet.
We have a national campaign, we're on every ballot.
I don't think he's going to be on the ballot by February 1.
Images & Illustrations of ballot
Translations for ballot
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- гласуване, бюлетина, гласувамBulgarian
- papereta de votCatalan, Valencian
- ψηφίζω, ψηφοφορία, ψηφοδέλτιοGreek
- balotar, candidatura, papeleta de voto, votar, elecciones, balotaSpanish
- äänestys, äänestäminen, arpoa, ehdokaslista, äänimäärä, äänestyslippu, äänestääFinnish
- bulletin de vote, voter, bulletinFrench
- פתק הצבעהHebrew
- szavazócédula, titkos szavazás, szavazólapHungarian
- scheda elettoraleItalian
- opptelling, valgliste, stemmeseddel, avstemningNorwegian
- boletim, cédula, votaçãoPortuguese
- тянуть жребий, баллотировка, бюллетень, избирательный бюллетень, голосование, волеизъявление, голосоватьRussian
- valsedel, röstsedelSwedish
Get even more translations for ballot »
Find a translation for the ballot definition in other languages:
Select another language: