the backward escape of gases and unburned gunpowder after a gun is fired
a loud noise made by the explosion of fuel in the manifold or exhaust of an internal combustion engine
a fire that is set intentionally in order to slow an approaching forest fire or grassfire by clearing a burned area in its path
a miscalculation that recoils on its maker
backfire, backlash, recoil(verb)
come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect
"Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
emit a loud noise as a result of undergoing a backfire
"My old car backfires all the time"
set a controlled fire to halt an advancing forest to prairie fire
(Of a gun or cannon) to fire in the opposite direction, for example due to an obstruction in the barrel.
To fail in a manner that brings down further misfortune.
His attempt to make money by importing luxury cars horribly backfired when fuel prices tripled.
Origin: From back + fire.
The numerical value of backfire in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of backfire in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Images & Illustrations of backfire
Translations for backfire
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- nach hinten losgehen, fehlschlagenGerman
- salir el tiro por la culata, tener contraefecto, tener efecto retroactivoSpanish
- mennä pieleen, kostautua, epäonnistuaFinnish
- se retourner contre, avoir l'effet inverseFrench
- avere effetto contrarioItalian
- sair pela culatraPortuguese
- привести к обратным результатам, приводить к обратным результатамRussian
- vratiti se, obiti se o glavuSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for backfire »
Find a translation for the backfire definition in other languages:
Select another language: