babble, babbling, lallation(verb)
gibberish resembling the sounds of a baby
utter meaningless sounds, like a baby, or utter in an incoherent way
"The old man is only babbling--don't pay attention"
babble, blather, smatter, blether, blither(verb)
to talk foolishly
"The two women babbled and crooned at the baby"
ripple, babble, guggle, burble, bubble, gurgle(verb)
flow in an irregular current with a bubbling noise
spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, talk, tattle, blab, peach, babble, sing, babble out, blab out(verb)
divulge confidential information or secrets
"Be careful--his secretary talks"
Idle talk; senseless prattle; gabble; twaddle.
Inarticulate speech; constant or confused murmur.
A sound of or alike that which of flowing water.
To utter words indistinctly or unintelligibly; to utter inarticulate sounds; as, a child babbles.
To talk incoherently; to utter unmeaning words.
To talk much; to chatter; to prate.
To make a continuous murmuring noise, as shallow water running over stones.
To utter in an indistinct or incoherent way; to repeat, as words, in a childish way without understanding.
To disclose by too free talk, as a secret.
Origin: From babelen, from *, also wæflian, from babalōnan, from bʰa-bʰa-. Cognate with babbelje, babbla ( babbla), babbelen, babbelen, pappeln and babbeln.
to utter words indistinctly or unintelligibly; to utter inarticulate sounds; as a child babbles
to talk incoherently; to utter unmeaning words
to talk much; to chatter; to prate
to make a continuous murmuring noise, as shallow water running over stones
to utter in an indistinct or incoherent way; to repeat, as words, in a childish way without understanding
to disclose by too free talk, as a secret
idle talk; senseless prattle; gabble; twaddle
inarticulate speech; constant or confused murmur
Babble is a British internet telephony service. It was one of the first commercialisations of VoIP technology, appearing in 2004 approximately 6 months after the proprietary Skype opened up interest in telephony over the internet. Operating out of offices in London Docklands, west London and Hertfordshire, Babble is a SIP-based service with interconnections to the ordinary telephone network permitting inbound and outbound calls from its network. Babble was re-launched in 2006 by Allan Howes and Simon Lewis who bought out the service from its parent and floated on the London Stock Exchange.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
bab′bl, v.i. to speak like a baby: to make a continuous murmuring sound like a brook, &c.: to make a babbling noise: to tell secrets.—v.t. to prate: to utter.—adjs. Bab′blative, Bab′bly.—ns. Bab′ble, Bab′blement, Bab′bling, idle senseless talk: prattle: confused murmur, as of a stream; Bab′bler, one who babbles. [Prob. imit., from the repeated syllable ba; cf. Dut. babbelen, Ger. pappelen, Fr. babiller.]
Babble is a magazine and parenting community site aimed at urban hipsters.
The numerical value of babble in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of babble in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Images & Illustrations of babble
Translations for babble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- бръщолевене, ромон, ромоля, бърборене, бръщолевя, бърборя, ромоленеBulgarian
- pludren, plapre, vrøvle, pladder, pludre, sludreDanish
- Geplapper, brabbeln, plätschern, murmeln, gurgeln, schwätzen, plappern, babbelnGerman
- gorjeo, charlatanear, susurrar, chacharear, mascullar, jerigonza, charlar, murmurar, charla, parloteo, charlotear, farfullar, parlotearSpanish
- نارسا گویی, یاوه گفتن, دراییدنPersian
- solista, pulina, pulista, jokeltaa, solinaFinnish
- babil, bavardage, murmure, jargon, jaboter, jargonner, jacasser, bavarder, babiller, murmurer, papoter, marmonner, susurrer, caqueter, marmotter, charabia, galimatias, babillageFrench
- csobogás, csobogHungarian
- óskýrt tal, babla, heimskulegt þvaður, masa, vatnsniður, þvæla, niða, babl, mala, hjala, blaðra, kjafta frá, mas, fleipra út úr sér, tala of mikið, niður, vera með heimskuhjalIcelandic
- ciancia, balbettio, ciarlare, gorgoglio, cicalare, chiacchierareItalian
- 중얼거리다, 재잘거리다, 옹알거리다Korean
- kapekapetau, hīwawā, nanunanuMāori
- kabbelen, brabbelen, kletsen, babbelen, murmelenDutch
- plapre, bableNorwegian
- paplanie, gwar, szemrać, gaworzyć, paplać, gaworzenie, szmer, bełkotPolish
- balbuciar, murmúrio, balbuciação, murmurarPortuguese
- журча́ние, болтовня́, журчать, бормотать, лепетать, болтать, трепаться, бормота́ние, ле́петRussian
- babbel, pladderSwedish
Get even more translations for babble »
Find a translation for the babble definition in other languages:
Select another language: