Definitions for awkwardˈɔk wərd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word awkward
"they arrived at an awkward time"
lacking grace or skill in manner or movement or performance
"an awkward dancer"; "an awkward gesture"; "too awkward with a needle to make her own clothes"; "his clumsy fingers produced an awkward knot"
awkward, bunglesome, clumsy, ungainly(adj)
difficult to handle or manage especially because of shape
"an awkward bundle to carry"; "a load of bunglesome paraphernalia"; "clumsy wooden shoes"; "the cello, a rather ungainly instrument for a girl"
awkward, clumsy, cumbersome, inapt, inept, ill-chosen(adj)
not elegant or graceful in expression
"an awkward prose style"; "a clumsy apology"; "his cumbersome writing style"; "if the rumor is true, can anything be more inept than to repeat it now?"
awkward, embarrassing, sticky, unenviable(adj)
hard to deal with; especially causing pain or embarrassment
"awkward (or embarrassing or difficult) moments in the discussion"; "an awkward pause followed his remark"; "a sticky question"; "in the unenviable position of resorting to an act he had planned to save for the climax of the campaign"
awkward, ill at ease(p), uneasy(adj)
socially uncomfortable; unsure and constrained in manner
"awkward and reserved at parties"; "ill at ease among eddies of people he didn't know"; "was always uneasy with strangers"
In a backwards direction.
Lacking dexterity in the use of the hands, or of instruments
John was awkward at performing the trick. He'll have to practise to improve.
Not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
That was an extremely awkward moment. Everyone was watching.
Lacking social skills, or uncomfortable with social interaction
Perverse; adverse; difficult to handle
wanting dexterity in the use of the hands, or of instruments; not dexterous; without skill; clumsy; wanting ease, grace, or effectiveness in movement; ungraceful; as, he was awkward at a trick; an awkward boy
not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
perverse; adverse; untoward
Awkward is an album by Ty. It was released in 2001 on Ninja Tune records.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'awkward' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2554
Rank popularity for the word 'awkward' in Adjectives Frequency: #741
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The Unexpected always comes at the most awkward times.
You know what never gets awkward? Talking about things other people did that got awkward.
Husbands are awkward things to deal with even keeping them in hot water will not make them tender.
I rated him quite highly, he was quiet, definitely socially awkward, but someone who had the caliber to join the program.
While we'd like to participate in the auction, it's a very awkward time for us, if somehow we get a faster close (of the TWC transaction), then we might.
Images & Illustrations of awkward
Translations for awkward
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- неприятен, неудобен, несръчен, неловък, непохватенBulgarian
- maldestreCatalan, Valencian
- nešikovný, neobratný, nepříjemnýCzech
- Umstände machend, unangenehm, verkorkst, betreten, peinlich, ungelenk, umständlich, unbeholfen, ungeschickt, beklemmend, verdreht, tölpelhaft, tollpatschigGerman
- senaplombiga, konsterna, maloportuna, mallertaEsperanto
- desmañado, torpe, delicado, embarazosoSpanish
- kiusallinen, hankala, vaikea, piinallinen, yököttävä, kömpelö, vastenmielinen, tuskallinenFinnish
- inconvenant, embarrassant, maladroitFrench
- klunnalegur, pínlegur, vandræðalegurIcelandic
- maldestro, scomodo, delicato, poco opportuno, imbarazzato, impacciato, inopportuno, imbarazzante, difficile, poco maneggevole, goffoItalian
- ぎごちない, 不器用Japanese
- незгоден, терсенеMacedonian
- genant, ongemakkelijk, onhandigDutch
- pinlig, klønete, klumseteNorwegian
- nieprzyjemny, nieśmiałyPolish
- desconcertante, constrangedor, desajeitado, incómodo, bisonhoPortuguese
- неловкий, неуклюжий, затруднительный, неудобныйRussian
- genant, pinsamSwedish
- kullanışsız, beceriksiz, sakar, uygunsuz, garipTurkish
Get even more translations for awkward »
Find a translation for the awkward definition in other languages:
Select another language: