Definitions for auntænt, ɑnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word aunt
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the sister of one's father or mother.
the wife of one's uncle.
Chiefly New Eng. and South Midland U.S. (used as a term of respectful address to an older woman unrelated to the speaker.)
* Pron: In New England and E Virginia, a “broad a” pronunciation of aunt , resembling either the (ӓ) of car or a vowel midway in quality between (ӓ) and the (a) of hat, occurs in the speech of all social groups, even those who do not use the sound in words like dance and laugh.
Origin of aunt:
1250–1300; ME aunte < AF, for OF ante < L amita father's sister, old fem. ptp. of amāre to love, i.e., beloved
aunt, auntie, aunty(noun)
the sister of your father or mother; the wife of your uncle
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
the sister of sb's mother or father
all my aunts and uncles
a sister or sister-in-law of someoneu2019s parent
(also great-aunt or grandaunt) a person's grandparent's sister or sister-in-law.
(usually auntie) a grandmother.
an affectionate term for a woman of an older generation than oneself, especially a friend of one's parents, by means of fictive kin.
Origin: From aunte, from aunte, from ante, from amita. Displaced native modrie (from modrige; compare ).
the sister of one's father or mother; -- correlative to nephew or niece. Also applied to an uncle's wife
an old woman; and old gossip
a bawd, or a prostitute
An aunt is a person who is the sister or sister-in-law of a parent. A great-aunt is the sister or sister-in-law of a grandparent. The male equivalent of an aunt is an uncle, and the reciprocal relationship is that of a nephew or niece. "Aunt" may also be an honorific bestowed upon an individual of fictive kinship.
Translations for aunt
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the sister of one's father or mother, or the wife of one's uncle
My Aunt Anne died last week; The child went to the circus with her aunt.
- عَمّـه، خالَه، زَوجَة العَم أو الخالArabic
- tiaPortuguese (BR)
- die TanteGerman
- عمه؛ خاله؛ زن عمو؛ زن داییFarsi
- चाची, मामी, मौसी, फूफीHindi
- föður– eða móðursystir; kona föður– eða móðurbróðurIcelandic
- 고모, 이모Korean
- tante; krustmāteLatvian
- mak saudaraMalay
- عمه؛ خاله؛ زن عمو؛ زن داییPersian
- ترور، خاله ، د تره ښځهPashto
- tetka, ujna; strinaSerbian
- faster, moster, tantSwedish
- พี่หรือน้องสาวของแม่หรือพ่อ; ป้า น้า อา (หญิงThai
- hala, teyze, yengeTurkish
- 姑姑，阿姨，伯母或嬸嬸，舅媽Chinese (Trad.)
- خالہ ، پھپھی ، چچی ،ممانی ، تائیUrdu
- 姑母，姨母或伯母，婶母，舅母Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for aunt »
Find a translation for the aunt definition in other languages:
Select another language: