Definitions for attemptəˈtɛmpt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word attempt
attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try(noun)
earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try"
the act of attacking
"attacks on women increased last year"; "they made an attempt on his life"
try, seek, attempt, essay, assay(verb)
make an effort or attempt
"He tried to shake off his fears"; "The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"; "The police attempted to stop the thief"; "He sought to improve himself"; "She always seeks to do good in the world"
undertake, set about, attempt(verb)
enter upon an activity or enterprise
The action of trying at something.
An assault or attack, especially an assassination attempt.
Origin: Late 14th century, from atempter, from attempto, from ad + temptare, more correctly tentare; see tempt.
to make trial or experiment of; to try; to endeavor to do or perform (some action); to assay; as, to attempt to sing; to attempt a bold flight
to try to move, by entreaty, by afflictions, or by temptations; to tempt
to try to win, subdue, or overcome; as, one who attempts the virtue of a woman
to attack; to make an effort or attack upon; to try to take by force; as, to attempt the enemy's camp
to make an attempt; -- with upon
a essay, trial, or endeavor; an undertaking; an attack, or an effort to gain a point; esp. an unsuccessful, as contrasted with a successful, effort
Attempt in criminal law is an offense that occurs when a person comes dangerously close to carrying out a criminal act, and intends to commit the act, but does not in fact commit it. The person may have carried out all the necessary steps but still failed, or the attempt may have been abandoned or prevented at a late stage. The attempt must have gone beyond mere planning or preparation, and is distinct from other Inchoate offenses such as conspiracy to commit a crime or solicitation of a crime. There are many specific crimes of attempt, such as attempted murder, which may vary by jurisdiction. Punishment is often less severe than would be the case if the attempted crime had been carried out. Abandonment of the attempt may constitute a not guilty defence, depending partly on the extent to which the attempt was abandoned freely and voluntarily. Early common law did not punish attempts; the law of attempt was not recognised by common law until the case of b. Rex v. Scofield in 1784. The essence of the crime of attempt in legal terms is that the defendant has failed to commit the actus reus of the full offense, but has the direct and specific intent to commit that full offense.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'attempt' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1111
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'attempt' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3264
Rank popularity for the word 'attempt' in Nouns Frequency: #314
Rank popularity for the word 'attempt' in Verbs Frequency: #262
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If Trump were to do that, or attempt it.
The attempt and not the deed Confounds us.
It could be a concerted attempt to deceive.
The attempt and not the deed
That's an attempt to pay-back sleep deprivation.
Images & Illustrations of attempt
Translations for attempt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- пробвам, проба, опит, опитвамBulgarian
- temptativaCatalan, Valencian
- pokus, zkusitCzech
- forsøge, prøve, forsøgDanish
- Bestrebung, Versuch, Anschlag, versuchen, Bestreben, AttentatGerman
- απόπειρα, προσπαθώ, επιχειρώ, αποπειρώμαι, προσπάθειαGreek
- atentado, ensayo, tratar, tentativa, intentar, intentoSpanish
- katse, katsetama, proovima, tapmiskatse, üritamaEstonian
- yrittää, murhayritys, koettaa, yritys, päällekarkaus, hyökkäysFinnish
- tentative, essayer, tenter, attentatFrench
- ionsaí, ionsaighIrish
- feuchainn, feuchScottish Gaelic
- ניסה, ניסיוןHebrew
- कोशिश, कोशिश करनाHindi
- niat, usaha, coba, upayaIndonesian
- tentativo, provare, tentare, attentare, attentato, sforzo, cercareItalian
- 試み, 試みる, 試すJapanese
- тажрыйба, тырышуу, аракет кылуу, аракет, сынам, кол салууKyrgyz
- conor, conatusLatin
- mēģinājums, mēģinātLatvian
- pogen, probeersel, proberen, poging, aanslagDutch
- prøve, forsøke, angrep, forsøkNorwegian
- próba, próbować, podejście, spróbowaćPolish
- tentar, atentado, tentativaPortuguese
- опыт, попытка, пробовать, покушение, постараться, стараться, пытаться, проба, попробовать, попытатьсяRussian
- pokušaj, покушајSerbo-Croatian
- pokúšať sa, pokúsiť saSlovak
- försök, försökaSwedish
- ప్రయత్నించు, ప్రయత్నంTelugu
- пробувати, намагатисяUkrainian
- کوشش, کوشش کرناUrdu
Get even more translations for attempt »
Find a translation for the attempt definition in other languages:
Select another language: