contrived by art rather than nature
"artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
artificial, contrived, hokey, stilted(adj)
"that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Man-made; of artifice.
The flowers were artificial, and he thought them rather tacky.
Her manner was somewhat artificial.
Origin: Via (French: artificiel), from artificialis from artificium "skill", from artifex, from ars "skill", and -fex, from facere "to make".
made or contrived by art; produced or modified by human skill and labor, in opposition to natural; as, artificial heat or light, gems, salts, minerals, fountains, flowers
feigned; fictitious; assumed; affected; not genuine
artful; cunning; crafty
cultivated; not indigenous; not of spontaneous growth; as, artificial grasses
Origin: [L. artificialis, fr. artificium: cf. F. artificiel. See Artifice.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'artificial' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4506
Rank popularity for the word 'artificial' in Adjectives Frequency: #601
The numerical value of artificial in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of artificial in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
Artificial Intelligence the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies.
Most importantly, we may have found a way to integrate an artificial ligament with native bone.
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons...
It just means you’ve got to be careful and broadly speaking I think if we were able to create strong A.I.s I think Artificial Intelligence would probably be Artificial Intelligence.
Images & Illustrations of artificial
Translations for artificial
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- принуден, прикрит, изкуствен, неестественBulgarian
- fals, artificialCatalan, Valencian
- künstlich, unnatürlichGerman
- αφύσικος, υποκριτικός, τεχνητός, επίπλαστος, προσποιητόςGreek
- luonnoton, keinotekoinen, teennäinenFinnish
- breugach, fuadainScottish Gaelic
- מלאכותי, מלאכותיתHebrew
- innaturale, artificioso, falso, artificialeItalian
- неприроден, вештачкиMacedonian
- artificieel, kunstmatig, nagemaakt, onnatuurlijkDutch
- artificial, falsoPortuguese
- artificial, fals, nenaturalRomanian
- притворный, искусственный, ненатуральныйRussian
- konstgjord, konstladSwedish
- అసహజమైన, కృత్రిమమైనTelugu
- yapay, sahte, yapmacıkTurkish
Get even more translations for artificial »
Find a translation for the artificial definition in other languages:
Select another language: