Definitions for artificialˌɑr təˈfɪʃ əl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word artificial
contrived by art rather than nature
"artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
artificial, contrived, hokey, stilted(adj)
"that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Man-made; of artifice.
The flowers were artificial, and he thought them rather tacky.
Her manner was somewhat artificial.
Origin: Via (French: artificiel), from artificialis from artificium "skill", from artifex, from ars "skill", and -fex, from facere "to make".
made or contrived by art; produced or modified by human skill and labor, in opposition to natural; as, artificial heat or light, gems, salts, minerals, fountains, flowers
feigned; fictitious; assumed; affected; not genuine
artful; cunning; crafty
cultivated; not indigenous; not of spontaneous growth; as, artificial grasses
Origin: [L. artificialis, fr. artificium: cf. F. artificiel. See Artifice.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'artificial' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4506
Rank popularity for the word 'artificial' in Adjectives Frequency: #601
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
All things are artificial, for nature is the art of God.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
I would recommend sugar in moderation over artificial sweeteners.
You use artificial intelligence, hopefully I use natural intelligence.
Images & Illustrations of artificial
Translations for artificial
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- принуден, прикрит, изкуствен, неестественBulgarian
- fals, artificialCatalan, Valencian
- künstlich, unnatürlichGerman
- αφύσικος, υποκριτικός, τεχνητός, επίπλαστος, προσποιητόςGreek
- luonnoton, keinotekoinen, teennäinenFinnish
- breugach, fuadainScottish Gaelic
- מלאכותי, מלאכותיתHebrew
- innaturale, artificioso, falso, artificialeItalian
- неприроден, вештачкиMacedonian
- artificieel, kunstmatig, nagemaakt, onnatuurlijkDutch
- artificial, falsoPortuguese
- artificial, fals, nenaturalRomanian
- притворный, искусственный, ненатуральныйRussian
- konstgjord, konstladSwedish
- అసహజమైన, కృత్రిమమైనTelugu
- yapay, sahte, yapmacıkTurkish
Get even more translations for artificial »
Find a translation for the artificial definition in other languages:
Select another language: