Definitions for architectˈɑr kɪˌtɛkt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word architect
someone who creates plans to be used in making something (such as buildings)
A professional who designs buildings or other structures, or who prepares plans and superintends construction.
Plato made the causes of things to be matter, ideas, and an efficient architect.
A person who plans, devises or contrives the achievement of a desired result.
Peisistratus was the first architect of the Iliad and the Odyssey.
To design, plan, or orchestrate.
He architected the military coup against the government.
a person skilled in the art of building; one who understands architecture, or makes it his occupation to form plans and designs of buildings, and to superintend the artificers employed
a contriver, designer, or maker
An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide services in connection with the design and construction of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings, that have as their principal purpose human occupancy or use. Etymologically, architect derives from the Latin architectus, which derives from the Greek arkhitekton, i.e., chief builder. Professionally, an architect's decisions affect public safety, and thus an architect must undergo specialized training consisting of advanced education and a practicum for practical experience to earn a license to practice architecture. Practical, technical, and academic requirements for becoming an architect vary by jurisdiction. The terms architect and architecture are also used in the disciplines of landscape architecture, naval architecture and often information technology. In most jurisdictions, the professional and commercial uses of the terms "architect" and "landscape architect" are legally protected.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'architect' in Nouns Frequency: #1481
Translations for architect
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- معماري, مهندس معماريArabic
- архітэ́ктар, архітэ́ктаркаBelarusian
- arquitecteCatalan, Valencian
- architekt, architektkaCzech
- Architektin, ArchitektGerman
- arquitecta, arquitectoSpanish
- kavandaja, arhitektEstonian
- arkkitehti, suunnittelija, suunnitellaFinnish
- architecte, architecturerFrench
- ailtire, ailteir, dealbhadair thogalachScottish Gaelic
- אדריכלית, אדריכלHebrew
- építész, építészmérnökHungarian
- architetto, ideatoreItalian
- 건축가, 建築家Korean
- architect, bouwmeesterDutch
- arkitektNorwegian Nynorsk
- arquitècte, architècteOccitan
- arquiteto, arquiteta, arquitetarPortuguese
- arhitectă, arhitectRomanian
- зодчий, архитекторRussian
- arhitekta, архитектаSerbo-Croatian
- arkitekt, arkitekteAlbanian
- kiến trúc sưVietnamese
- hibumavan, bumavan, jibumavanVolapük
Get even more translations for architect »
Find a translation for the architect definition in other languages:
Select another language: