Definitions for arbitraryˈɑr bɪˌtrɛr i
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word arbitrary
based on or subject to individual discretion or preference or sometimes impulse or caprice
"an arbitrary decision"; "the arbitrary rule of a dictator"; "an arbitrary penalty"; "of arbitrary size and shape"; "an arbitrary choice"; "arbitrary division of the group into halves"
Based on individual discretion or judgment; not based on any objective distinction, perhaps even made at random.
Determined by impulse rather than reason; heavy-handed.
"The Russian trials were Stalin's purges, with which he attempted to consolidate his power. Like most people in the West, I believed these show trials to be the arbitrary acts of a cruel dictator." (Max Born, Letters to Einstein)
Any and all possible.
The equation is true for an arbitrary value of x.
Determined by independent arbiter.
To secure food safety, there should first be a national standard to arbitrarily state what is wholesome and what is not; second, the final buyer should know exactly what he is purchasing. (The World's Work ...: a history of our time)
Origin: From arbitrarie, arbitrarius, from arbiter
depending on will or discretion; not governed by any fixed rules; as, an arbitrary decision; an arbitrary punishment
exercised according to one's own will or caprice, and therefore conveying a notion of a tendency to abuse the possession of power
despotic; absolute in power; bound by no law; harsh and unforbearing; tyrannical; as, an arbitrary prince or government
Origin: [L. arbitrarius, fr. arbiter: cf. F. arbitraire. See Arbiter.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'arbitrary' in Adjectives Frequency: #980
Translations for arbitrary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- деспотичен, случаен, произволен, своеволен, тираниченBulgarian
- arbitrariCatalan, Valencian
- libovolný, náladovýCzech
- arbitrær, vilkårligDanish
- willkürlich, arbiträr, beliebigGerman
- αυθαίρετος, δεσποτικός, αυταρχικός, παρορμητικός, αυθόρμητοςGreek
- arbitra, hazardaEsperanto
- mielivaltainen, omavaltainen, umpimähkäinenFinnish
- arbitraire, quelconqueFrench
- treallach, aondeonach, ansmachtúil, ar togradh, dírialtaIrish
- שרירותי, שרירותיתHebrew
- sembarang, mana saja, siapa saja, apa sajaIndonesian
- a caso, arbitrario, arbitrariaItalian
- 恣意, 任意, 不特定多数Japanese
- დესპოტური, თვითნებური, დაუსაბუთებელი, ჭირვეულიGeorgian
- vilkårlegNorwegian Nynorsk
- tilfeldig, vilkårligNorwegian
- arbitrarny, dowolnyPolish
- arbitrário, arbitráriaPortuguese
- godtycklig, arbiträrSwedish
- keyfî, isteğe bağlıTurkish
Get even more translations for arbitrary »
Find a translation for the arbitrary definition in other languages:
Select another language: