Definitions for arabˈær əb
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a member of an Arabic-speaking people or citizen of an Arabic-speaking nation.
a member of a Semitic people inhabiting since ancient times the Arabian Peninsula and the desert fringes of Mesopotamia and the Levant: after a.d. 632, spreading throughout SW Asia and N Africa.
Category: Dogs, Cats, and Horses
Ref: Arabian horse.
(adj.)of or pertaining to Arabs.
* Pron: The pronunciation of Arab with an initial (ā) sound and secondary stress on the second syllable is sometimes used facetiously or disparagingly and is usually considered offensive.
Origin of Arab:
1625–35; back formation from L Arabs (taken as pl.) < Gk
a member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa
a spirited graceful and intelligent riding horse native to Arabia
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a native speaker of Arabic
Arabs living in the U.S.
A Semitic person, whose antecedents were from Arabia
A member of an Arabic-speaking community
A particular breed of horse.
of or pertaining to Arabs and their nations
Origin: From عرب "Arabs" or عربي "Arab" (adjective), "Arabic".
one of a swarthy race occupying Arabia, and numerous in Syria, Northern Africa, etc
Translations for arab
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
1,2 etc, as opposed to Roman numerals, I,II etc.
- اللُغَة العَرَبِيَّةArabic
- arábicoPortuguese (BR)
- arabská čísliceCzech
- arabisk; arabiske talDanish
- araabia numbridEstonian
- arab (számok)Hungarian
- angka ArabIndonesian
- arabíska; arabískir tölustafirIcelandic
- 아라비아 숫자Korean
- arabiški skaitmenysLithuanian
- arābu-; arābu cipariLatvian
- angka ArabMalay
- arabisk; arabiske tallNorwegian
- cyfry arabskiePolish
- арабские цифрыRussian
- arabské čísliceSlovak
- arapski/arapska (jezik, slova)Serbian
- arabisk, arabiska siffrorSwedish
- Arap rakamları, rakamTurkish
- 阿拉伯數字Chinese (Trad.)
- арабські цифриUkrainian
- thuộc Ả rậpVietnamese
- 阿拉伯数字Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for arab »