aloof, distant, upstage(adverb)
remote in manner
"stood apart with aloof dignity"; "a distant smile"; "he was upstage with strangers"
in an aloof manner
"the local gentry and professional classes had held aloof for the school had accepted their sons readily enough"
At or from a distance, but within view, or at a small distance; apart; away.
Without sympathy; unfavorably.
Reserved and remote; either physically or emotionally distant
Origin: From a- + Middle English loof (="weather gage," also "windward direction"), probably from Dutch loef (="the weather side of a ship"); originally a nautical order to keep the ship's head to the wind, thus to stay clear of a lee-shore or some other quarter, hence the figurative sense of "at a distance, apart"
same as Alewife
at or from a distance, but within view, or at a small distance; apart; away
without sympathy; unfavorably
away from; clear from
Origin: [Pref. a- + loof, fr. D. loef luff, and so meaning, as a nautical word, to the windward. See Loof, Luff.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-lōōf′, adv. at a distance: apart.—n. Aloof′ness, withdrawal from common action or sympathy. [Pfx. a- (—A.S. on), on, and Loof, prob. Dut. loef. See Luff.]
The numerical value of aloof in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of aloof in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Images & Illustrations of aloof
Translations for aloof
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отделно, сдържан, резервиран, настраниBulgarian
- reserviert, menschenscheu, zurückhaltend, distanziertGerman
- reservado, sin compasión, alejado, apartado, a distanciaSpanish
- varautunut, etäinenFinnish
- dédaigneusement, résevé, distant, dédaigneuxFrench
- fad àsScottish Gaelic
- distaccato, con distaccoItalian
- terughoudend, gereserveerd, negatief, afstandelijk, apartDutch
- z niesmakiemPolish
- alijado, alheio, distantePortuguese
- стороня́щийся, поодаль, отстранённо, сде́ржанный, отчуждённый, сторона, равнодушноRussian
Get even more translations for aloof »
Find a translation for the aloof definition in other languages:
Select another language: