Definitions for alleviateəˈli viˌeɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word alleviate
relieve, alleviate, palliate, assuage(verb)
provide physical relief, as from pain
"This pill will relieve your headaches"
facilitate, ease, alleviate(verb)
"you could facilitate the process by sharing your knowledge"
To make less severe, as a pain or difficulty.
Alcohol is often a cheap tool to alleviate the stress of a hard day.
Origin: From alleviatus, past participle of alleviare (ad- + levis).
to lighten or lessen the force or weight of
to lighten or lessen (physical or mental troubles); to mitigate, or make easier to be endured; as, to alleviate sorrow, pain, care, etc. ; -- opposed to aggravate
to extenuate; to palliate
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We can't solve the problem but we can provide solutions to alleviate it.
There is nothing I can say that can alleviate the pain and overwhelming sense of loss.
If these meals help alleviate stress, it could actually be good and open up more time for families.
We hope that that money can help people alleviate some of the hardships that they continue to experience today.
To rejoice in another's prosperity is to give content to your lot; to mitigate another's grief is to alleviate or dispel your own.
Images & Illustrations of alleviate
Translations for alleviate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- смекчавам, облекчавамBulgarian
- mitigar, pal·liarCatalan, Valencian
- lindern, mildernGerman
- ανακουφίζω, ανακουφίGreek
- mildigi, moderigiEsperanto
- paliar, aliviar, mitigarSpanish
- leevendama, kergendamaEstonian
- کم کردنPersian
- lievittää, helpottaaFinnish
- soulager, adoucir, calmerFrench
- aotromaichScottish Gaelic
- को कमHindi
- enyhít, csillapítHungarian
- մեղմել, մեղմացնելArmenian
- សម្រាល, កាត់បន្ថយKhmer
- milderen, verzachten, temperen, verlichtenDutch
- alina, ușura, calma, atenuaRomanian
- смягчать, снимать, облегчать, уменьшатьRussian
- azaltmak, dindirmek, hafifletmekTurkish
- גרינגער מאַכןYiddish
Get even more translations for alleviate »
Find a translation for the alleviate definition in other languages:
Select another language: