relieve, alleviate, palliate, assuage(verb)
provide physical relief, as from pain
"This pill will relieve your headaches"
facilitate, ease, alleviate(verb)
"you could facilitate the process by sharing your knowledge"
To make less severe, as a pain or difficulty.
Alcohol is often a cheap tool to alleviate the stress of a hard day.
Origin: From alleviatus, past participle of alleviare (ad- + levis).
to lighten or lessen the force or weight of
to lighten or lessen (physical or mental troubles); to mitigate, or make easier to be endured; as, to alleviate sorrow, pain, care, etc. ; -- opposed to aggravate
to extenuate; to palliate
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
al-lēv′i-āt, v.t. to make light: to mitigate.—ns. Alleviā′tion; Allev′iātor. [L. ad, levis, light.]
The numerical value of alleviate in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of alleviate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If these meals help alleviate stress, it could actually be good and open up more time for families.
We hope that that money can help people alleviate some of the hardships that they continue to experience today.
To rejoice in another's prosperity is to give content to your lot; to mitigate another's grief is to alleviate or dispel your own.
In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that fear.
Components found in ginger, such as galanolactone, may act via the central nervous system to affect serotonin levels and alleviate nausea, in fact, the compound acts on the same pathway as some common anti-nausea remedies.
Images & Illustrations of alleviate
Translations for alleviate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- смекчавам, облекчавамBulgarian
- mitigar, pal·liarCatalan, Valencian
- lindern, mildernGerman
- ανακουφίζω, ανακουφίGreek
- mildigi, moderigiEsperanto
- paliar, aliviar, mitigarSpanish
- leevendama, kergendamaEstonian
- کم کردنPersian
- lievittää, helpottaaFinnish
- soulager, adoucir, calmerFrench
- aotromaichScottish Gaelic
- को कमHindi
- enyhít, csillapítHungarian
- մեղմել, մեղմացնելArmenian
- សម្រាល, កាត់បន្ថយKhmer
- milderen, verzachten, temperen, verlichtenDutch
- alina, ușura, calma, atenuaRomanian
- смягчать, снимать, облегчать, уменьшатьRussian
- azaltmak, dindirmek, hafifletmekTurkish
- גרינגער מאַכןYiddish
Get even more translations for alleviate »
Find a translation for the alleviate definition in other languages:
Select another language: