Definitions for agnosticægˈnɒs tɪk
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word agnostic
someone who is doubtful or noncommittal about something
a person who claims that they cannot have true knowledge about the existence of God (but does not deny that God might exist)
of or pertaining to an agnostic or agnosticism
uncertain of all claims to knowledge
A person who holds to a form of agnosticism, especially uncertainty of the existence of a deity.
Of or relating to agnosticism or its adherents.
Doubtful or uncertain about the existence or demonstrability of God or other deity.
She left the church when she became agnostic.
A software component (or other entity) that is unaware or noncommittal regarding the specific nature of the components with which it interacts; polymorphic; modular; pluggable
The socket communications layer is agnostic with regard to its underlying transport mechanism -- it is u201Ctransport-agnosticu201D.
Having no firmly held opinions on an issue or matter of uncertainty.
Origin: First attested in 1870; coined by Thomas Huxley. Either from ἄγνωστος or from a- + Gnostic. Deriving (either way) from ἀ- + γιγνώσκω.
professing ignorance; involving no dogmatic; pertaining to or involving agnosticism
one who professes ignorance, or denies that we have any knowledge, save of phenomena; one who supports agnosticism, neither affirming nor denying the existence of a personal Deity, a future life, etc
Origin: [Gr. 'a priv. + knowing, to know.]
Translations for agnostic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- agnostikus, agnosticiAfrikaans
- Agnostiker, skeptisch, Agnostikerin, agnostischGerman
- agnostikulo, agnostikaEsperanto
- agnóstico, agnósticaSpanish
- agnostinen, agnostikkoFinnish
- neach-adhbharachaisScottish Gaelic
- agnostyczny, agnostykPolish
- agnóstica, agnósticoPortuguese
- agnostic, agnosticăRomanian
- агностик, агностическийRussian
- agnostički, agnostikSerbo-Croatian
- şüpheci, agnostisizmle ilgili, agnostik, bilinemezci, bilinmezcilikle ilgili, bilinmezciTurkish
Get even more translations for agnostic »
Find a translation for the agnostic definition in other languages:
Select another language: