Definitions for afterlifeˈæf tərˌlaɪf, ˈɑf-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word afterlife
life after death
Life after death.
The place believed to be inhabited by deceased people.
In philosophy, religion, mythology, and fiction, the afterlife is the concept of a realm, or the realm itself, in which an essential part of an individual's identity or consciousness continues to reside after the death of the body in the individual's lifetime. According to various ideas of the afterlife, the essential aspect of the individual that lives on after death may be some partial element, or the entire soul, of an individual, which carries with it and confers personal identity. Belief in an afterlife, which may be naturalistic or supernatural, is in contrast to the belief in eternal oblivion after death. In some popular views, this continued existence often takes place in a spiritual realm, and in other popular views, the individual may be reborn into this world and begin the life cycle over again, likely with no memory of what they have done in the past. In this latter view, such rebirths and deaths may take place over and over again continuously until the individual gains entry to a spiritual realm or Otherworld. Major views on the afterlife derive from religion, esotericism and metaphysics.
The numerical value of afterlife in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of afterlife in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Cast aside those who liken godliness to whimsy and who try to combine their greed for wealth with their desire for a happy afterlife.
We Buddhists believe in afterlife, reincarnation and karma, if I were to die during the Khmer Rouge time, I would ask Mormons to leave me alone.
Never hear the end of afterworld/afterlife i.e. always be reminded of afterworld/afterlife where you will surely spend eternity either in hell or heaven.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
The yearning for an afterlife is the opposite of selfish it is love and praise for the world that we are privileged, in this complex interval of light, to witness and experience.
Images & Illustrations of afterlife
Translations for afterlife
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- més enllà, inframónCatalan, Valencian
- posmrtný život, podsvětíCzech
- Unterwelt, Jenseits, Leben nach dem Tod, Leben nach dem TodeGerman
- μετά θάνατον ζωή, μετά θάνατον Greek
- transtombo, postmortoEsperanto
- ultratumba, más allá, inframundoSpanish
- kuolemanjälkeinen elämä, tuonpuoleinenFinnish
- au-delà, autre monde, vie après la mortFrench
- altro mondo, oltretomba, aldilà, vita dell'aldilàItalian
- 後世, 来世Japanese
- 내세, 後世, 저승, 來世, 후세Korean
- задгробен животMacedonian
- wara l-mewt, wara l-ħajjaMaltese
- leven na de dood, onderwereldDutch
- życie pozagrobowe, zaświatyPolish
- ultravida, vida após a morte, além, outro mundo, submundo, além-túmuloPortuguese
- viața de mai târziu, viața de dincoloRomanian
- [[жизнь]] [[после]] [[смерть, загробная жизньRussian
- livet efter döden, livet efter dettaSwedish
- ahiret, öbür dünyaTurkish
- kiếp sau, thế giới bên kiaVietnamese
Get even more translations for afterlife »
Find a translation for the afterlife definition in other languages:
Select another language: