located farther aft
subsequently, later, afterwards, afterward, after, later on(adverb)
happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
"he apologized subsequently"; "he's going to the store but he'll be back here later"; "it didn't happen until afterward"; "two hours after that"
behind or in the rear
"and Jill came tumbling after"
Behind; later in time; following.
Later; second (of two); next, following, subsequent
At or towards the stern of a ship
I went home after we had decided to call it a day.
subsequently to; following in time; later than.
he will leave a trail of destruction after him
in pursuit of, seeking
in allusion to, in imitation of; following or referencing
next in importance or rank
The princess is next in line to the throne after the prince.
as a result of
After your bad behaviour, you will be punished.
in spite of
After all that has happened, he is still my friend.
next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life
hinder; nearer the rear
to ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway
behind in place; as, men in line one after another
below in rank; next to in order
later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause
subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful
subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course
moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of
denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness
in imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father
according to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind
according to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting
subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after
Origin: [AS. fter after, behind; akin to Goth. aftaro, aftra, backwards, Icel. aptr, Sw. and Dan. efter, OHG. aftar behind, Dutch and LG. achter, Gr. 'apwte`rw further off. The ending -ter is an old comparative suffix, in E. generally -ther (as in other), and after is a compar. of of, off. 194. See Of; cf. Aft.]
After is a young adult novel written by Francine Prose. After a school shooting 50 miles away, the new grief and crisis counselor attempts to control the students' lives, using the recent tragedy as an excuse. The school gradually is controlled by the grip of the administration, and students who do not comply with the new rules disappear, never to be seen again. Its plot is reminiscent of Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. This novel was first published in 2003, and the nearby school shooting is reminiscent of the Columbine High School massacre in 1999. Described in the New York Times Book Review as a "rich parable", this novel has as a theme the threat to freedom posed by an excessive concern for security.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
aft′ėr, prep. and adv. behind in place: later in time: following in search of: in imitation of: in proportion to, or in agreement with: concerning: subsequent to, or subsequently: afterward: after the manner of, or in imitation of.—adj. behind in place: later in time: more toward the stern of a vessel. [A.S. æfter, comp. of af, or of, the primary meaning being 'more off,' 'farther away;' -ter as a comparative affix is seen in L. al-ter, Eng. o-ther. See Of.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'after' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #95
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'after' in Written Corpus Frequency: #215
The numerical value of after in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of after in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Sleep after toil, port after stormy seas, ease after war, death after life does greatly please.
After you've done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over.
Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
My brother was in Italy after a clandestine journey five years ago after leaving from Chebba. He was in Mazara in Italy before he was deported from Lyon in France after two years there.
After Newtown, after Aurora, after Gabby Giffords was shot -- Barbara Parker think, something is gon na get done. This time, the circumstances of this tragedy, they are different. there are people out there whose minds Barbara Parker will never change.
Images & Illustrations of after
Translations for after
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بعد, وراء, خلفArabic
- подир, след, зад, според, по, следващ, след катоBulgarian
- en acabat, acabat de, després de, més tard, en acabat de, després, acabat, després que, en acabat que, acabat queCatalan, Valencian
- po, na, potom, za, podleCzech
- efter, på trods af, bagefter, som følge af, senereDanish
- nach, darauf, trotz, wegen, hinterher, hinter, nachdemGerman
- ύστερα, μετά, έπειτα, κατόπινGreek
- después, por, tras, a pesar de, después de, detrás deSpanish
- پس از, بعد, بعد از, در پیPersian
- jälkeen, mukaillen, mukaan, yli, seurauksena, takia, perään, jäljessä, takana, taakse, huolimatta, perässä, vuoksi, seuraava, kun, sen jälkeen, kunFinnish
- après, d'après, derrièreFrench
- neffens, nei, efter oan, efter, troch, omWestern Frisian
- tar éis, i ndiaidhIrish
- an dèidh làimhe, an dèidh, seach, air, an dèidh sin, an dèidh doScottish Gaelic
- למרות, בעקבות, אחרי, מאחור, לאחרHebrew
- apreHaitian Creole
- հետո, ետևից, պատճառով, պատվին, հետևիցArmenian
- depois, postInterlingua
- il fatto che, da, in seguito, dopo, seguente, sparte, poi, per causa di, dietroItalian
- 後ろ, 後Japanese
- 연유하여, 다음, 따라서, 추구하여, 뒤, 앞Korean
- پاش ئهوه, دوای ئهوه, دواییKurdish
- post, postquamLatin
- nodeemLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- naar, achter, na, ondanks, door, vanwege, nadatDutch
- senere, etter, bak, etterpå, etter atNorwegian
- ପଛରେ, ପରେOriya
- apesar de, devido a, depois de, atrás de, por causa de, depois, segundo, porPortuguese
- după, în urma, pe urmele, peste, ca urmare a, în căutareaRomanian
- в поисках, потом, за, сзади, после, позади, в результате, по мотивам, из-за, в честьRussian
- posle, после, по, unatoč, унаточ, za, po, због, иза, за, zbog, izaSerbo-Croatian
- za, poSlovene
- senare, efterSwedish
- hiliTonga (Tonga Islands)
- arkasında, sonra, ardında, yerine, sonrasında, sonucunda, peşinde, ardındanTurkish
Get even more translations for after »
Find a translation for the after definition in other languages:
Select another language: