Definitions for accedeækˈsid
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word accede
submit, bow, defer, accede, give in(verb)
yield to another's wish or opinion
"The government bowed to the military pressure"
take on duties or office
"accede to the throne"
assent, accede, acquiesce(verb)
to agree or express agreement
"The Maestro assented to the request for an encore"
To approach; to arrive, to come forward.
To give one's adhesion; to join up with (a group etc); to become part of.
To agree or assent to a proposal or a view; to give way.
To come to an office, state or dignity; to attain, assume (a position).
To become a party to an agreement or a treaty.
Origin: * First attested in the early 15th century.
to approach; to come forward; -- opposed to recede
to enter upon an office or dignity; to attain
to become a party by associating one's self with others; to give one's adhesion. Hence, to agree or assent to a proposal or a view; as, he acceded to my request
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ak-sēd′, v.i. to come to, or arrive at, a place or condition: to join one's self, hence to agree or assent (with to).—ns. Acced′er; Acced′ing. [L. accedĕre, accessum, to go near to—ad, to, cedĕre, to go. See Cede.]
The numerical value of accede in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of accede in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We expect and call on the (Palestinian) Authority and its leader to act responsibly and accede to the proposal of the prime minister of Israel and enter into direct negotiations with Israel without preconditions.
In some ways, (Cameron) was protected by the Lib Dems as the leader of a coalition government. It protected him from the right wing of his party, he is going to have to face up to some of his demands from his right that previously he has not had to accede to.
Images & Illustrations of accede
Translations for accede
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- встъпвам, присъединявам се, приемам, съгласявам сеBulgarian
- přistoupit, souhlasitCzech
- acceder, consentir, subir, acceder aSpanish
- liittyä, saapua, suostua, nousta, lähestyä, myöntyä, taipua, astuaFinnish
- hivatalba lép, belép, beleegyezik, csatlakozikHungarian
- inwilligen, bestijgen, toetreden, naderen, aanvaarden, toestemmenDutch
- przyłączyć się, przystawać, obejmować, objąć, przyłączać się, wstępować, przystępować, przystać, wstąpić, przystąpić, zgodzić sięPolish
- вступать, присоединяться, соглашатьсяRussian
- tillträda, ansluta till, instämma iSwedish
Get even more translations for accede »
Find a translation for the accede definition in other languages:
Select another language: