academician, academic, faculty member(adj)
an educator who works at a college or university
associated with academia or an academy
"the academic curriculum"; "academic gowns"
hypothetical or theoretical and not expected to produce an immediate or practical result
"an academic discussion"; "an academic question"
academic, donnish, pedantic(adj)
marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects
A member of the Academy; a follower of Plato, a Platonist.
A member of an academy, college, or university; an academician.
A person who attends an academy.
One who is academic in practice.
Belonging to an academy or other higher institution of learning; also a scholarly society or organization.
Pertaining to or characteristic of a school.
Belonging to the school or philosophy of Plato; as, the academic sect or philosophy.
Being scholarly; literary or classical, in distinction from scientific.
Conforming to set rules and traditions; conventional; formalistic.
Having an aptitude for study.
Having no practical importance.
To be so scholarly as to be unaware of the outside world.
Theoretical or speculative.
I have always had an academic interest in hacking.
Origin: * First attested in 1588.
alt. of Academical
one holding the philosophy of Socrates and Plato; a Platonist
a member of an academy, college, or university; an academician
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ak-ad-em′ik, n. a Platonic philosopher: a student in a college. [See Academy.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. Of, or pertaining to, fossils; vegetative; parasitic; the opposite of change, viable, evolution. 2. Relating to a society that promotes the love of the static and the immobile. 3. Apish, parrot-like, phonographic.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'academic' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2149
Rank popularity for the word 'academic' in Adjectives Frequency: #288
The numerical value of academic in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of academic in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Images & Illustrations of academic
Translations for academic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- acadèmicCatalan, Valencian
- πλατωνιστής, ακαδημαϊκός, θεωρητικός, πλατωνικόςGreek
- teórico, escolar, académicoSpanish
- yliopistollinen, akateeminen, teoreettinen, akateemikkoFinnish
- academiala, akademialaIdo
- 大学, 学問, 学者, 学生, プラトン学派, 大学生, 非現実的, 人文的, プラトン学派の人Japanese
- academisch, academicus, universitairDutch
- akademikarNorwegian Nynorsk
- akademiker, akademiskNorwegian
- irrelevante, teórico, platônico, acadêmicoPortuguese
- academică, academic, universitară, universitarRomanian
- университетский, академическийRussian
- akademisk, akademikerSwedish
Get even more translations for academic »
Find a translation for the academic definition in other languages:
Select another language: