Definitions for abridgeəˈbrɪdʒ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abridge
abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce(verb)
reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
"The manuscript must be shortened"
lessen, diminish, or curtail
"the new law might abridge our freedom of expression"
To make shorter; to shorten in duration or extent.
To shorten or contract by using fewer words, yet retaining the sense; to epitomize; to condense; as, to abridge a history or dictionary..
To deprive; to cut off;
To lessen; to diminish; to curtail; as, to abridge labor; to abridge power or rights.
Origin: * First attested in 1303.
to make shorter; to shorten in duration; to lessen; to diminish; to curtail; as, to abridge labor; to abridge power or rights
to shorten or contract by using fewer words, yet retaining the sense; to epitomize; to condense; as, to abridge a history or dictionary
to deprive; to cut off; -- followed by of, and formerly by from; as, to abridge one of his rights
Abridge is a village in Essex, England. It is on the River Roding, 16 miles southwest of the county town of Chelmsford. The village is in the district of Epping Forest and in the parliamentary constituency of Brentwood & Ongar. It is part of the civil parish of Lambourne and is served by Lambourne Parish Council. It takes its name from the brick bridge over the River Roding, which is situated just to the north of the modern centre, on the road to Theydon Bois.
Translations for abridge
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съкращавам, ограничавам, скъсявам, лишавамBulgarian
- forkorte, sammendrageDanish
- kürzen, verkürzenGerman
- condensar, compendiar, privar, resumir, abreviarSpanish
- lyhentää, typistää, riistää, viedä, supistaaFinnish
- giorraichScottish Gaelic
- limitare, abbreviare, ridurre, privare, accorciareItalian
- inkorten, verkorten, beperkenDutch
- sammendra, forkorteNorwegian
- abreviar, resumir, encurtar, privar, despojarPortuguese
- суммировать, ограничивать, уменьшать, укорачивать, усекать, сокращать, урезывать, убавлятьRussian
Get even more translations for abridge »
Find a translation for the abridge definition in other languages:
Select another language: