Definitions for abreastəˈbrɛst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abreast
abreast(p), au courant, au fait, up on(p)(adverb)
being up to particular standard or level especially in being up to date in knowledge
"kept abreast of the latest developments"; "constant revision keeps the book au courant"; "always au fait on the latest events"; "up on the news"
alongside each other, facing in the same direction
Informed, well-informed, familiar, acquainted
Side by side, facing forward, with breasts in a line; as,
Side by side; also, opposite; over against; on a line with the vessel's beam.
Up to a certain level or line; equally advanced; as, to keep abreast of [or with] the present state of science.
: At the same time; simultaneously
Abreast of; alongside.
side by side, with breasts in a line; as, "Two men could hardly walk abreast."
side by side; also, opposite; over against; on a line with the vessel's beam; -- with of
up to a certain level or line; equally advanced; as, to keep abreast of [or with] the present state of science
at the same time; simultaneously
Origin: [Pref. a- + breast.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I love it, it keeps me abreast of what our students are going through, and I get more stories to tell.
The high speed ovals certainly represent the greatest risk because of the speed, because of the concrete wall and lately because of the closeness of the racing, which is far closer than it is in Formula One, the cars are very safe today but there is still that ultimate risk regardless and that will always exist. When you are side-by-side or three abreast it doesn't take much.
Images & Illustrations of abreast
Translations for abreast
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- един до друг, на един ред, рамо до рамо, редомBulgarian
- auf dem Laufenden, beieinanderGerman
- de lado a lado, al corriente, de frenteSpanish
- ajan tasalla, rinnakkain, kyljittäin, vierivieressä, tasalla, tietoinen, vierekkäinFinnish
- au courant, côte à côteFrench
- di pari passo, affiancato, aggiornata, al passo, al traverso, aggiornato, al correnteItalian
- op de hoogte, welingelicht, bekend, goed ingelicht, zij aan zijDutch
- obok siebiePolish
- [[bem]] [[informado]], lado a ladoPortuguese
- рядом, [[на]] [[траверз, борт о борт, бок о бокRussian
Get even more translations for abreast »
Find a translation for the abreast definition in other languages:
Select another language: