any address at which you dwell more than temporarily
"a person can have several residences"
dwelling, home, domicile, abode, habitation, dwelling house(noun)
housing that someone is living in
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"; "they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
pret. of Abide
act of waiting; delay
stay or continuance in a place; sojourn
place of continuance, or where one dwells; abiding place; residence; a dwelling; a habitation
to bode; to foreshow
to be ominous
Origin: [See Bode, v. t.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-bōd′, n. a dwelling-place: stay. [See Abide.]
a-bōd′, pa.t. and pa.p. of Abide.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A place where one cleans one's teeth and occasionally sleeps. 2. A long counter with a gutter and a rail at the bottom over which one is served with any liquid in a glass. 3. Dwelling, fireside (obsolete in this sense). 4. A grave.
The numerical value of abode in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of abode in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Love and dignity cannot share the same abode.
Earth has nothing more tender than a woman's heart when it is the abode of piety.
Think, in this batter'd Caravanserai Whose Portals are alternate Night and Day, How Sultn after Sultn with his Pomp Abode his destined Hour, and went his way.
It is not known precisely where angels dwell-whether in the air, the void, or the planets. It has not been God's pleasure that we should be informed of their abode.
For if that last day does not occasion an entire extinction, but a change of abode only, what can be more desirable And if it, on the other hand, destroys and absolutely puts an end to us, what can be preferable to having a deep sleep fall on us in the midst of the fatigues of life and, being thus overtaken, to sleep to eternity
Images & Illustrations of abode
Translations for abode
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بقاء, إقامة, مسكنArabic
- местопребиваване, жилищеBulgarian
- Bleibe, Wohnung, Verweilen, Warten, Aufenthalt, WohnsitzGerman
- residencia, morada, viviendaSpanish
- asunto, viivytys, oleskeluFinnish
- còmhnaidhScottish Gaelic
- soggiorno, domicilio, dimora, residenzaItalian
- wachten, voorteken, woonstee, verblijf, onderkomenDutch
- siedziba, miejsce zamieszkania, mieszkaniePolish
- vaticínio, domicílio, espera, augúrio, atraso, agouro, permanência, presságio, residência, moradia, casaPortuguese
- обиталище, обитель, промедление, пребывание, жилище, задержка, Russian
- obitavalište, nastanSerbo-Croatian
- boning, hemvist, vistelseSwedish
Get even more translations for abode »
Find a translation for the abode definition in other languages:
Select another language: