Definitions for abodeəˈboʊd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abode
any address at which you dwell more than temporarily
"a person can have several residences"
dwelling, home, domicile, abode, habitation, dwelling house(noun)
housing that someone is living in
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"; "they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
pret. of Abide
act of waiting; delay
stay or continuance in a place; sojourn
place of continuance, or where one dwells; abiding place; residence; a dwelling; a habitation
to bode; to foreshow
to be ominous
Origin: [See Bode, v. t.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-bōd′, n. a dwelling-place: stay. [See Abide.]
a-bōd′, pa.t. and pa.p. of Abide.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A place where one cleans one's teeth and occasionally sleeps. 2. A long counter with a gutter and a rail at the bottom over which one is served with any liquid in a glass. 3. Dwelling, fireside (obsolete in this sense). 4. A grave.
The numerical value of abode in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of abode in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Kindness is my prayer. Humanity is my abode.
Love and dignity cannot share the same abode.
Earth has nothing more tender than a woman's heart when it is the abode of piety.
A man should not keep company with one whose character, family, and abode are unknown.
Think, in this batter'd Caravanserai Whose Portals are alternate Night and Day, How Sultn after Sultn with his Pomp Abode his destined Hour, and went his way.
Images & Illustrations of abode
Translations for abode
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بقاء, إقامة, مسكنArabic
- местопребиваване, жилищеBulgarian
- Bleibe, Wohnung, Verweilen, Warten, Aufenthalt, WohnsitzGerman
- residencia, morada, viviendaSpanish
- asunto, viivytys, oleskeluFinnish
- còmhnaidhScottish Gaelic
- soggiorno, domicilio, dimora, residenzaItalian
- wachten, voorteken, woonstee, verblijf, onderkomenDutch
- siedziba, miejsce zamieszkania, mieszkaniePolish
- vaticínio, domicílio, espera, augúrio, atraso, agouro, permanência, presságio, residência, moradia, casaPortuguese
- обиталище, обитель, промедление, пребывание, жилище, задержка, Russian
- obitavalište, nastanSerbo-Croatian
- boning, hemvist, vistelseSwedish
Get even more translations for abode »
Find a translation for the abode definition in other languages:
Select another language: