(usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
"able to swim"; "she was able to program her computer"; "we were at last able to buy a car"; "able to get a grant for the project"
have the skills and qualifications to do things well
"able teachers"; "a capable administrator"; "children as young as 14 can be extremely capable and dependable"
having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity
"able to learn"; "human beings are able to walk on two feet"; "Superman is able to leap tall buildings"
having a strong healthy body
"an able seaman"; "every able-bodied young man served in the army"
A word that is used in place of the letter "A" during communication.
To make capable; to enable; to strengthen.
To vouch for.
Having the physical strength; robust; healthy.
After the past week of forced marches, only half the men are fully able.
Having the neccesary powers or the needed resources to accomplish a task.
Iu2019ll see you as soon as Iu2019m able.
Designed and constructed or endowed with the ability to accomplish a specific task.
That MP3 player is able to hold 5000 songs.
Free from constraints preventing completion of task; permitted to; not prevented from;
Situated and constructed in such a way as to be susceptible or commonly subjected to an action or procedure.
That cliff is able to be climbed.
Gifted with skill, intelligence, knowledge, or competence.
The chairman was also an able sailor.
Rich, well-to-do; fit to cope with.
Legally qualified or competent.
In most states, such a person is not able to inherit property.
fit; adapted; suitable
having sufficient power, strength, force, skill, means, or resources of any kind to accomplish the object; possessed of qualifications rendering competent for some end; competent; qualified; capable; as, an able workman, soldier, seaman, a man able to work; a mind able to reason; a person able to be generous; able to endure pain; able to play on a piano
specially: Having intellectual qualifications, or strong mental powers; showing ability or skill; talented; clever; powerful; as, the ablest man in the senate; an able speech
legally qualified; possessed of legal competence; as, able to inherit or devise property
to make able; to enable; to strengthen
to vouch for
Origin: [See Able, a.]
ABLE is a simplified programming language targeted at accounting applications.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ā′bl, adj. (comp. A′bler; superl. A′blest) having sufficient strength, power, or means to do a thing: skilful.—adj. A′ble-bod′ied, of a strong body: free from disability, of a sailor, labourer, &c.: robust.—adv. A′bly. [See Ability.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'able' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #297
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'able' in Written Corpus Frequency: #302
Rank popularity for the word 'able' in Adjectives Frequency: #23
The numerical value of able in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of able in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Images & Illustrations of able
Translations for able
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قادر, ماهر, قدير, بارعArabic
- компетентен, позволен, в състояние да, способен, умел, годенBulgarian
- schopný, způsobilýCzech
- habil, i stand til, kompetent, dygtig, have mulighed forDanish
- fähig, tüchtig, imstande, kompetentGerman
- μπορώ να, αρτιμελής, έχων σώας τας φρένας, είμαι ικανός να, ικανός, δυνάμενοςGreek
- lerta, kompetenta, poviEsperanto
- capaz, competente, diestro, hábilSpanish
- pädev, suuteline, võimelineEstonian
- kykenevä, taitavaFinnish
- habilité, capable, expérimentéFrench
- betûftWestern Frisian
- ábalta, in annIrish
- comasachScottish Gaelic
- מסוגל, יָכֹל, יכולHebrew
- կարող, ընդունակ, ունակ, ճարտարArmenian
- capace, abileItalian
- 腕利き, 有資格, できる, 有能Japanese
- 능란한, 할 수 있는, 유자격의Korean
- potis, potens, sanus, habilis, licensLatin
- spējīgs, izdarīgs, veiklsLatvian
- dapat, bolehMalay
- aanmerking, om, bedreven, de, te, competent, in, in staat, mogelijkheid, hebben, handig, komenDutch
- i standNorwegian
- umiejętny, móc, zdolny, potrafić, mieć możliwość, zręcznyPolish
- permitido, capaz, possível, competentePortuguese
- abil, competent, capabil, abilitatRomanian
- способный, компете́нтный, уме́лый, полнопра́вный, спосо́бныйRussian
- kompetentný, schopnýSlovak
- ha möjlighet att, kapabel, i stånd att, skicklig, kompetentSwedish
- قادىر, قابىلUyghur, Uighur
- khả năngVietnamese
- skilik, duinafägik, fägikVolapük
Get even more translations for able »
Find a translation for the able definition in other languages:
Select another language: