Definitions for abideəˈbaɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abide
bide, abide, stay(verb)
"You can stay with me while you are in town"; "stay a bit longer--the day is still young"
digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put up(verb)
put up with something or somebody unpleasant
"I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
To wait in expectation; to pause; to delay; to tarry.
To stay; to continue in a place; to have one's abode; to dwell; to sojourn;
To remain stable or fixed in some state or condition; to continue; to remain; to last; to endure.
To [[remain;; to be left.
To stand ready for; to await for someone.
To wait for, to be prepared for, to await expectantly, to watch for.
To endure or undergo a hard trial or a task; to stand up under.
To endure without yielding; to withstand; await defiantly.
To bear patiently; to tolerate; to put up with; stand.
To pay for; to stand the consequences of; to answer for; to suffer for; to atone for.
To await submisively; accept without question; submit to.
Origin: * Probably from before 1200.
to wait; to pause; to delay
to stay; to continue in a place; to have one's abode; to dwell; to sojourn; -- with with before a person, and commonly with at or in before a place
to remain stable or fixed in some state or condition; to continue; to remain
to wait for; to be prepared for; to await; to watch for; as, I abide my time
to endure; to sustain; to submit to
to bear patiently; to tolerate; to put up with
to stand the consequences of; to answer for; to suffer for
Translations for abide
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- чакам, очаквам, търпя, пребивавам, оставам, толерирамBulgarian
- ausstehen, aushalten, weilen, harrenGerman
- habitar, esperar, tolerar, soportar, demorar, aguardar, quedar, permanecerSpanish
- demeurer, tolérer, supporterFrench
- tollerare, attendere, sopportare, abitare, risiedere, aspettare, vivere, dimorareItalian
- tinggal dalam, dudukMalay
- wonen, verdragen, doorstaan, toelaten, verblijven, afwachten, ondergaan, uithouden, tolererenDutch
- forbli, tolerere, avvente, holde utNorwegian
- habitar, residir, viver, esperar, aguentar, aguardar, persistir, suportar, tolerar, morarPortuguese
- пребыва́ть, жить, ждать, терпе́ть, прожива́ть, обита́ть, остава́ться, ожида́ть, выноси́тьRussian
- vytrvať, strpieťSlovak
- oturmak, ikamet etmekTurkish
Get even more translations for abide »
Find a translation for the abide definition in other languages:
Select another language: