abandoned, derelict, deserted(adj)
forsaken by owner or inhabitants
"weed-grown yard of an abandoned farmhouse"
free from constraint
"an abandoned sadness born of grief"- Liam O'Flaherty
self-abandoned, or given up to vice; extremely wicked, or sinning without restraint; irreclaimably wicked ; as, an abandoned villain
"Abandoned" is the 31st episode of the television series Lost, and is the sixth episode of the second season. The episode was directed by Adam Davidson and written by Elizabeth Sarnoff. It first aired on November 9, 2005 on ABC. The character of Shannon Rutherford is featured in the episode's flashbacks.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'abandoned' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3561
The numerical value of abandoned in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of abandoned in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
I saw a military jet circling three times. People have abandoned their vehicles on the road and gone home.
The Godless would deny and destroy human rights .... the liberties of a nation cannot be secure when belief in God is abandoned.
You messed everything up, they gave you a treasure -- France -- and a diamond -- its people. You have ruined the one and abandoned the other.
The class distinctions proper to a democratic society are not those of rank or money, still less, as is apt to happen when these are abandoned, of race, but of age.
Images & Illustrations of abandoned
Translations for abandoned
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- متروك, مهجورArabic
- abandonatCatalan, Valencian
- maabandona, madingo, mayuteChamorro
- herrenlos, verlassenGerman
- abandonado, desenfrenado, desinhibidoSpanish
- maha jäetud, hüljatudEstonian
- paatunut, rajaton, hylätty, pidäkkeetönFinnish
- dévergondé, dévergondée, abandonnéFrench
- meallta, trèigteScottish Gaelic
- derelictus, desertusLatin
- त्यक्त, परित्यक्तMarathi
- vicios, desfrânat, nerușinat, abandonat, părăsit, imoralRomanian
- необузданный, распутный, заброшенный, покинутый, несдержанный, безудержный, падшийRussian
- напуштен, запуштенSerbo-Croatian
- terk edilmiş, metrukTurkish
- phóng đãng, truỵ lạcVietnamese
Get even more translations for abandoned »
Find a translation for the abandoned definition in other languages:
Select another language: