Definitions for a rising tide lifts all boats
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word a rising tide lifts all boats
a rising tide lifts all boats(Proverb)
Benefits provided to a few may lead to conditions that are beneficial to all.
A rising tide lifts all boats
The aphorism "a rising tide lifts all boats" is associated with the idea that improvements in the general economy will benefit all participants in that economy, and that economic policy, particularly government economic policy, should therefore focus on the general macroeconomic environment first and foremost. The phrase is commonly attributed to John F Kennedy, who used it in a 1963 speech to combat criticisms that a dam project he was inaugurating was a pork barrel project. However the phrase has been used more commonly to defend tax cuts and other policies where the initial beneficiaries are high income earners.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of a rising tide lifts all boats
Translations for a rising tide lifts all boats
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- المد العالي يرفع كل القواربArabic
- rostoucí příliv zvedá všechny loděCzech
- eine steigende Flut hebt alle BooteGerman
- una marea creciente levanta todos los barcosSpanish
- une marée montante soulève tous les bateauxFrench
- a dagály minden csónakot felemelHungarian
- pasang naik lift semua perahuIndonesian
- una marea che sale solleva tutte le barcheItalian
- en voksende bølge løfter alle båterNorwegian
- Прилив поднимает все лодкиRussian
Get even more translations for a rising tide lifts all boats »
Find a translation for the a rising tide lifts all boats definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these a rising tide lifts all boats definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"a rising tide lifts all boats." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2016. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/a rising tide lifts all boats>.