a guardian or defender against theft or illegal practices or waste
"she is the global watchdog for human rights abuses"
watchdog, guard dog(noun)
a dog trained to guard property
a guard dog
a person or organization that monitors and publicizes the behavior of others (individuals, corporations, governments) to discover undesirable activity.
To perform a function analogous to a watchdog.
To guard and warn.
Origin: From watch and dog.
a dog kept to watch and guard premises or property, and to give notice of the approach of intruders
Watchdog is a BBC television series that investigates viewers' reports of problematic experiences with traders, retailers, and other companies around the UK. It has had great success in changing the awareness consumers have of their purchasing rights and in changing policies of companies, closing down businesses, and pushing for law changes. It is shown on BBC One and is available for online viewing or download via BBC iPlayer.
dog watch, dogwatch
The numerical value of Watchdog in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of Watchdog in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of Watchdog
Translations for Watchdog
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- Wachhündin, WachhundGerman
- perro guardiánSpanish
- chien de garde, mâtin, chienne de gardeFrench
- cerbero, cane da guardiaItalian
- 監視者, 監視人, 番犬, 監視委員会Japanese
- WuechthondLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- anjing pengawalMalay
- cão de guarda, vigilânciaPortuguese
- сторожевой пёс, контролёр, сторожевая собакаRussian
- kontrollorgan, tillsynsman, övervakningsorgan, tillsyningsman, vakthund, tillsynsorgan, väktareSwedish
- دیکھتے ہیںUrdu
- galedajidog, galedadog, galedahidogVolapük
Get even more translations for Watchdog »
Find a translation for the Watchdog definition in other languages:
Select another language: