Definitions for WAGEweɪdʒ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word WAGE
wage, pay, earnings, remuneration, salary(verb)
something that remunerates
"wages were paid by check"; "he wasted his pay on drink"; "they saved a quarter of all their earnings"
carry on (wars, battles, or campaigns)
"Napoleon and Hitler waged war against all of Europe"
An amount of money paid to a worker for a specified quantity of work, usually expressed on an hourly basis.
To wager, bet.
To employ for wages; to hire.
To conduct or carry out (a war or other contest).
to wage war
Origin: from wage, a northern variant of gauge, gage, from *waddi, wadja (cognate with wedd), from wadjō, from wadh-. Akin to veþja "to pledge", wadi. More at wed.
to pledge; to hazard on the event of a contest; to stake; to bet, to lay; to wager; as, to wage a dollar
to expose one's self to, as a risk; to incur, as a danger; to venture; to hazard
to engage in, as a contest, as if by previous gage or pledge; to carry on, as a war
to adventure, or lay out, for hire or reward; to hire out
to put upon wages; to hire; to employ; to pay wages to
to give security for the performance of
to bind one's self; to engage
that which is staked or ventured; that for which one incurs risk or danger; prize; gage
that for which one labors; meed; reward; stipulated payment for service performed; hire; pay; compensation; -- at present generally used in the plural. See Wages
Origin: [OE. wagen, OF. wagier, gagier, to pledge, promise, F. gager to wager, lay, bet, fr. LL. wadium a pledge; of Teutonic origin; cf. Goth. wadi a pledge, gawadjn to pledge, akin to E. wed, G. wette a wager. See Wed, and cf. Gage.]
A wage is remuneration paid by an employer to an employee. It may be calculated as a fixed task based amount, or at an hourly rate, or based on an easily measured quantity of work done. It is contrasted with salaried work, which is based on a fixed time period.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'WAGE' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3315
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'WAGE' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2248
Rank popularity for the word 'WAGE' in Nouns Frequency: #689
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I don't believe the minimum wage law works.
When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.
When war is brought upon us, we will wage war.
Even if you are alone you wage war with yourself.
We need a wage that could take care of our basic necessities.
Images & Illustrations of WAGE
Translations for WAGE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- راتب, أجر, الأجورArabic
- зарпла́та, зарабо́тная пла́таBelarusian
- paga, salari, retribució, estipendi, remuneració, honorari, souCatalan, Valencian
- Lohn, führen, ArbeitsentgeltGerman
- μεροκάματο, μισθόςGreek
- salario, sueldoSpanish
- کارمزد, مزد, دستمزدPersian
- liksa, palkka, ryhtyä, ansiotuloFinnish
- salaire, menerFrench
- cosnadh, tuarasdal, pàighScottish Gaelic
- משכורת, שכרHebrew
- तनख़्वाह, वेतन, मासिक वेतनHindi
- paga, salarioInterlingua
- laun, heyja, heyja stríðIcelandic
- salario, pagaItalian
- 給料, 賃金, 行う, サラリーJapanese
- жалақы, айлық, еңбекақыKazakh
- ប្រាក់ឈ្នួល, ប្រាក់ខែKhmer
- 품삯, 봉급, 임금, 삯, 급료Korean
- muçe, meaş, destheq, mizKurdish
- эмгек акы, кызмат акыKyrgyz
- LounLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ຄ່າຈ້າງ, ຄ່າແຮງງານLao
- užmokestis, algaLithuanian
- цалин хөлсMongolian
- arbeidsloon, loon, salarisDutch
- płaca, pensjaPolish
- travar, remuneração, salário, conduzir, ordenadoPortuguese
- salariu, plată, leafăRomanian
- проводить, жа́лование, за́работная пла́та, вести, зарпла́таRussian
- plaća, плаћа, plata, платаSerbo-Croatian
- plat, mzdaSlovak
- музди кор, маош, моҳонаTajik
- aýlyk, iş hakyTurkmen
- yevmiye, ücret, maaş, gündelikTurkish
- заробі́тна пла́та, зарпла́таUkrainian
- ويتن, اجرتUrdu
- maosh, moyanaUzbek
Get even more translations for WAGE »
Find a translation for the WAGE definition in other languages:
Select another language: