a person given to fanciful speculations and enthusiasms with little regard for what is actually possible
visionary, illusionist, seer(adj)
a person with unusual powers of foresight
airy, impractical, visionary, Laputan, windy(adj)
not practical or realizable; speculative
"airy theories about socioeconomic improvement"; "visionary schemes for getting rich"
someone who has visions; a seer
an impractical dreamer
someone who has positive ideas about the future
having vision or foresight
imaginary or illusory
prophetic or revelatory
idealistic or utopian
Origin: vision + -ary
of or pertaining to a visions or visions; characterized by, appropriate to, or favorable for, visions
affected by phantoms; disposed to receive impressions on the imagination; given to reverie; apt to receive, and act upon, fancies as if they were realities
existing in imagination only; not real; fanciful; imaginary; having no solid foundation; as, visionary prospect; a visionary scheme or project
one whose imagination is disturbed; one who sees visions or phantoms
one whose imagination overpowers his reason and controls his judgment; an unpractical schemer; one who builds castles in the air; a daydreamer
Defined broadly, a visionary, is one who can envision the future. For some groups this can involve the supernatural The visionary state is achieved via meditation, drugs, lucid dreams, daydreams, or art. One example is Hildegard of Bingen, a 12th-century artist/visionary and Catholic saint. Other visionaries in religion are St Bernadette and Joseph Smith.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. One who hacks vision, in the sense of an Artificial Intelligence researcher working on the problem of getting computers to ‘see’ things using TV cameras. (There isn't any problem in sending information from a TV camera to a computer. The problem is, how can the computer be programmed to make use of the camera information? See SMOP, AI-complete.) 2. [IBM] One who reads the outside literature. At IBM, apparently, such a penchant is viewed with awe and wonder.
The numerical value of Visionary in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of Visionary in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The budget's always a visionary document, but it's also a unifying document.
It has been a special honor serving Mayor Emanuel, a visionary mayor who believes deeply that confronting our fiscal challenges is inextricably linked to the larger economic growth and job-creation strategy for Chicago.
This is a visionary concept that is not being proposed for funding as a mission, if at some point NASA decided to fund a human mission to Venus, many concepts would be examined over a period of time before one was selected.
We know that if governments and industry aren't visionary enough to engage in a dialogue, to put the plan in place, to give people security, then we will see distress, fear and increasingly opposition among people around the world.
A visionless person is a futureless person. Yes! for until and unless you're a visionary, you will hardly utilize and maximize the future ahead of you. Thus, you've got to be a visionary and dare to pursue your visions tirelessly until you realize them.
Images & Illustrations of Visionary
Translations for Visionary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- visionär, Visionärin, Idealist, Fantast, hellseherisch, ideal, Träumerin, unwirklich, seherisch, TräumerGerman
- ilusorio, visionario, idealistaSpanish
- ihanteellinen, idealistinen, kuvitteellinen, utopistinen, visionääri, näkemyksellinen, haaveilija, visionäärinen, ilmestyksellinen, profeetallinen, näkijäFinnish
- visionnaire, prospectivisteFrench
- taibhsearScottish Gaelic
- illusorio, immaginario, veggente, visionario, lungimirante, chiaroveggente, idealeItalian
- fantastisch, utopisch, visionair, fantast, denkbeeldig, ingebeeld, dromer, helderziende, onrealistisch, idealist, onverwezenlijkbaar, onwerkelijk, idealistischDutch
- идеалист, мечтательRussian
- visionan, hivisionan, jivisionanVolapük
Get even more translations for Visionary »
Find a translation for the Visionary definition in other languages:
Select another language: