Definitions for Trialˈtraɪ əl, traɪl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Trial
test, trial, run(noun)
the act of testing something
"in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"; "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"
trial, trial run, test, tryout(noun)
trying something to find out about it
"a sample for ten days free trial"; "a trial of progesterone failed to relieve the pain"
the act of undergoing testing
"he survived the great test of battle"; "candidates must compete in a trial of skill"
(law) the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law
"he had a fair trial and the jury found him guilty"; "most of these complaints are settled before they go to trial"
(sports) a preliminary competition to determine qualifications
"the trials for the semifinals began yesterday"
trial, tribulation, visitation(noun)
an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event
"his mother-in-law's visits were a great trial for him"; "life is full of tribulations"; "a visitation of the plague"
the act of trying or testing in any manner
any effort or exertion of strength for the purpose of ascertaining what can be done or effected
the act of testing by experience; proof; test
examination by a test; experiment, as in chemistry, metallurgy, etc
the state of being tried or tempted; exposure to suffering that tests strength, patience, faith, or the like; affliction or temptation that exercises and proves the graces or virtues of men
that which tries or afflicts; that which harasses; that which tries the character or principles; that which tempts to evil; as, his child's conduct was a sore trial
the formal examination of the matter in issue in a cause before a competent tribunal; the mode of determining a question of fact in a court of law; the examination, in legal form, of the facts in issue in a cause pending before a competent tribunal, for the purpose of determining such issue
In law, a trial is a coming together of parties to a dispute, to present information in a tribunal, a formal setting with the authority to adjudicate claims or disputes. One form of tribunal is a court. The tribunal, which may occur before a judge, jury, or other designated trier of fact, aims to achieve a resolution to their dispute.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
trī′al, n. a trying: the act of trying: examination by a test: the state of being tried: suffering: temptation: judicial examination: attempt: a piece of ware used to test the heat of a kiln.—ns. Trī′al-day (Shak.), day of trial; Trī′al-fire (Shak.), a fire for trying or proving; Trī′al-trip, an experimental trip of a new vessel, to test her sailing-powers, &c.—On trial, on probation, as an experiment.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Trial' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1603
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Trial' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2366
Rank popularity for the word 'Trial' in Nouns Frequency: #556
The numerical value of Trial in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of Trial in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of Trial
Translations for Trial
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مُحاكَمة, التجربةArabic
- изпробване, съд, неприятности, изпитание, опит, проба, процес, бремеBulgarian
- trojí, zkouška, přelíčení, zkušebníCzech
- Trialis, Versuch, Prüfung, Kummer, Prozeß, Probe, Verhör, Belästigung, SorgeGerman
- δοκιμαστικός, δοκιμή, δίκη, πειραματικός, δοκιμασία, τριπλός, εκδίκασηGreek
- proceso, tribulación, trial, prueba, ensayo, experimento, juicioSpanish
- koe, oikeudenkäynti, koetus, koettelemusFinnish
- procès, épreuve, essai, trielFrench
- dearbhadhScottish Gaelic
- ניסיון, משפטHebrew
- baj, megpróbáltatás, próba, tárgyalás, nehézség, kellemetlenségHungarian
- triplo, prova, test, processo, tribolazioneItalian
- 試験, 試し, 試練, 裁判, 公判, 三数Japanese
- trialis, periculum, experimentumLatin
- rechtzaak, proces, trialis, proef, test, beproeving, bezoekingDutch
- test, rozprawa, próbaPolish
- ensaio, prova, julgamento, provação, experiência, processoPortuguese
- опыт, проба, разбирательство, испытание, неприятность, судRussian
- tillfällig, prov-, tretal, test, provisorisk, test-, trialis, rättegång, prövningSwedish
- tecrübe, duruşma, deneyTurkish
Get even more translations for Trial »
Find a translation for the Trial definition in other languages:
Select another language: