someone who pays rent to use land or a building or a car that is owned by someone else
"the landlord can evict a tenant who doesn't pay the rent"
a holder of buildings or lands by any kind of title (as ownership or lease)
any occupant who dwells in a place
occupy as a tenant
One who pays a fee (rent) in return for the use of land, buildings, or other property owned by others.
One who holds a property by any kind of right, including ownership.
To hold as, or be, a tenant.
Origin: First attested 1325, from tenaunt, from tenant, present participle of tenir, from tenere, present active infinitive of teneo.
one who holds or possesses lands, or other real estate, by any kind of right, whether in fee simple, in common, in severalty, for life, for years, or at will; also, one who has the occupation or temporary possession of lands or tenements the title of which is in another; -- correlative to landlord. See Citation from Blackstone, under Tenement, 2
one who has possession of any place; a dweller; an occupant
to hold, occupy, or possess as a tenant
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ten′ant, n. one who holds or possesses land or property under another, the payments and services which he owes to his superior constituting his tenure: one who has, on certain conditions, temporary possession of any place, an occupant.—v.t. to hold as a tenant.—n. Ten′ancy, a holding by private ownership: a temporary holding of land or property by a tenant.—adj. Ten′antable, fit to be tenanted: in a state of repair suitable for a tenant.—n. Ten′ant-farm′er, a farmer who rents a farm from the landlord.—adj. Ten′antless, without a tenant.—ns.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Tenant' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3697
Rank popularity for the word 'Tenant' in Nouns Frequency: #1012
The numerical value of Tenant in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of Tenant in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Images & Illustrations of Tenant
Translations for Tenant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- inquilí, llogaterCatalan, Valencian
- nájemce, vlastníkCzech
- Eigentümer, Mieter, Besitzer, mieten, Pächter, BewohnerGerman
- ένοικος, νομέας, ενοικιάζω, μισθωτής, μισθώνω, επικαρπωτής, ενοικιαστήςGreek
- inquilino, arrendatarioSpanish
- مستاجر, مستPersian
- asukas, vuokralainen, haltija, vuokrata, vuokraaja, vuokramies, torppariFinnish
- occupant, locataire, louerFrench
- okupero, habitanto, lokacanto, habitero, lokacero, okupantoIdo
- inquilino, locatarioItalian
- 借り主, 賃借人, 借りる, [[土地]][[を]][[借りる]], 借地人, 小作人Japanese
- gobrener, gobrenoresCornish
- huurder, pachter, bewonerDutch
- najemca, dzierżawcaPolish
- снимать, жилец, квартиросъёмщик, арендатор, арендовать, съёмщикRussian
- станар, stanarka, станарка, stanarSerbo-Croatian
- hyra, arrendator, arrendera, hyresgästSwedish
Get even more translations for Tenant »
Find a translation for the Tenant definition in other languages:
Select another language: