pat, rap, tap(noun)
the sound made by a gentle blow
rap, strike, tap(noun)
a gentle blow
water faucet, water tap, tap, hydrant(noun)
a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a shoe (as in tap dancing)
a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
a plug for a bunghole in a cask
the act of tapping a telephone or telegraph line to get information
tap, pat, dab(verb)
a light touch or stroke
cut a female screw thread with a tap
draw from or dip into to get something
"tap one's memory"; "tap a source of money"
"He tapped me on the shoulder"
draw from; make good use of
"we must exploit the resources we are given wisely"
wiretap, tap, intercept, bug(verb)
tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information
"The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is this hotel room bugged?"
furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
"tap a cask of wine"
tap, rap, knock, pink(verb)
make light, repeated taps on a surface
"he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
walk with a tapping sound
dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes
"Glover tapdances better than anybody"
draw (liquor) from a tap
"tap beer in a bar"
pierce in order to draw a liquid from
"tap a maple tree for its syrup"; "tap a keg of beer"
solicit, beg, tap(verb)
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
to strike with a slight or gentle blow; to touch gently; to rap lightly; to pat; as, to tap one with the hand or a cane
to put a new sole or heel on; as, to tap shoes
a gentle or slight blow; a light rap; a pat
a piece of leather fastened upon the bottom of a boot or shoe in repairing or renewing the sole or heel
a signal, by drum or trumpet, for extinguishing all lights in soldiers' quarters and retiring to bed, -- usually given about a quarter of an hour after tattoo
to strike a gentle blow
a hole or pipe through which liquor is drawn
a plug or spile for stopping a hole pierced in a cask, or the like; a faucet
liquor drawn through a tap; hence, a certain kind or quality of liquor; as, a liquor of the same tap
a place where liquor is drawn for drinking; a taproom; a bar
a tool for forming an internal screw, as in a nut, consisting of a hardened steel male screw grooved longitudinally so as to have cutting edges
to pierce so as to let out, or draw off, a fluid; as, to tap a cask, a tree, a tumor, etc
hence, to draw from (anything) in any analogous way; as, to tap telegraph wires for the purpose of intercepting information; to tap the treasury
to draw, or cause to flow, by piercing
to form an internal screw in (anything) by means of a tool called a tap; as, to tap a nut
A tap is a valve controlling release of liquids or gas.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
tap, n. a gentle blow or touch, esp. with something small: a signal with a drum to put lights out.—v.t. to strike lightly, touch gently.—v.i. to give a gentle knock:—pr.p. tap′ping; pa.t. and pa.p. tapped. [O. Fr. tapper—Low Ger. tappen.]
tap, n. a Scotch form of top.
tap, n. an Indian malarial fever. [Hind.]
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'TAP' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3598
Rank popularity for the word 'TAP' in Nouns Frequency: #2191
Rank popularity for the word 'TAP' in Verbs Frequency: #683
APT, ap't, apt, apt., ATP, Pat, pat, PTA
The numerical value of TAP in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of TAP in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Coffee black, water tap, whisky neat.
We are convinced that it is possible to privatise TAP on conditions that will make it a viable company.
That is, transforming TAP into a mini TAP, which is not in the interests of workers, the economy nor the Portuguese.
Marty This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too'
If we leave everything as is, TAP will disappear, it's either a profound restructuring that would cause mass job losses at TAP, and which we believe will not be able to keep TAP afloat, or the privatisation.
Images & Illustrations of TAP
Translations for TAP
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَتَنَصَّت, حنفية, صنبورArabic
- tap, aixetaCatalan, Valencian
- kohoutek, závitník, kohoutCzech
- Armatur, Zapfen, Kran, abzapfen, Spund, Gewindeschneider, abhören, anzapfen, Wasserhahn, Mischbatterie, Hahn, ZapfhahnGerman
- canilla, llave, grifo, machuelo, tapón, intervenir, dar golpecitosSpanish
- hyväkseen, taputtaa, haaroitus, tappi, kierteitystappi, valuttaa, kopauttaa, salakuunnella, puikottaa, hana, naputtaa, käyttää, naputella, verottaa, laskea, napauttaa, napautus, vesihana, kosketusFinnish
- robinet, bouchon, taper, dérivation, taraud, tarauder, tirerFrench
- csap, vízcsapHungarian
- hani, kraniIcelandic
- henef, zembere, henîfe, henefî, mislikKurdish
- наточува, чука, точи, тапка, допира, чешма, славина, тропкаMacedonian
- tappen, tikken, meeluisteren, kraan, afluisteren, aftappen, draadtappenDutch
- avlyttingNorwegian Nynorsk
- tappe, kran, tappekran, avlytteNorwegian
- kurek, spuszczać płyn, napoczynać, stuknąć, gwintować, gwintownik, zawór, kran, zawór główny, wykorzystywać, klepnąć, podsłuchiwać, założyć podsłuchPolish
- bica, torneira, torno, espichoPortuguese
- кран, отпайка, ответвление, затычка, отвод, пробка, метчикRussian
- slavina, славинаSerbo-Croatian
- kohútik, stočiť, stiahnuť, odposluch, odpočúvanieSlovak
- tapp, kran, avledning, gängtappSwedish
- gizlice dinlemek, musluk, musluk takmakTurkish
Get even more translations for TAP »
Find a translation for the TAP definition in other languages:
Select another language: