an amount of something available for use
offering goods and services for sale
provision, supply, supplying(verb)
the activity of supplying or providing something
supply, provide, render, furnish(verb)
give something useful or necessary to
"We provided the room with an electrical heater"
circulate or distribute or equip with
"issue a new uniform to the children"; "supply blankets for the beds"
provide, supply, ply, cater(verb)
give what is desired or needed, especially support, food or sustenance
"The hostess provided lunch for all the guests"
add, append, supply(verb)
state or say further
"`It doesn't matter,' he supplied"
Supplely: in a supple manner, with suppleness.
Origin: From souploier, from supplere.
to fill up, or keep full; to furnish with what is wanted; to afford, or furnish with, a sufficiency; as, rivers are supplied by smaller streams; an aqueduct supplies an artificial lake; -- often followed by with before the thing furnished; as, to supply a furnace with fuel; to supply soldiers with ammunition
to serve instead of; to take the place of
to fill temporarily; to serve as substitute for another in, as a vacant place or office; to occupy; to have possession of; as, to supply a pulpit
to give; to bring or furnish; to provide; as, to supply money for the war
the act of supplying; supplial
that which supplies a want; sufficiency of things for use or want
auxiliary troops or reenforcements
the food, and the like, which meets the daily necessities of an army or other large body of men; store; -- used chiefly in the plural; as, the army was discontented for lack of supplies
an amount of money provided, as by Parliament or Congress, to meet the annual national expenditures; generally in the plural; as, to vote supplies
a person who fills a place for a time; one who supplies the place of another; a substitute; esp., a clergyman who supplies a vacant pulpit
serving to contain, deliver, or regulate a supply of anything; as, a supply tank or valve
Supply is a small unincorporated community in Brunswick County, North Carolina, USA located around the intersection of US 17 and NC 211. Its name is derived from the use of the Lockwoods Folly River as a trade route in the 18th and 19th centuries. Residents of the nearby beach communities of Holden Beach, Oak Island, Ocean Isle, Caswell Beach, and Sunset Beach often used to commute to Supply for goods and other materials. This practice is still common, but development in the town of Southport and in the Intracoastal Waterway commercial districts has made traveling to Supply unnecessary.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
sup-plī′, v.t. to fill up, esp. a deficiency: to add what is wanted: to furnish: to fill a vacant place: to serve instead of:—pa.t. and pa.p. supplied′. [Fr.,—L. supplēre—sub, up, plēre, to fill.]
sup-plī′, n. act of supplying: that which is supplied or which supplies a want: amount of food or money provided (used generally in pl.): a grant of money provided by a legislature for the expenses of government: a person who takes another's duty temporarily, a substitute, esp. a clergyman.—ns. Supplī′al, the act of supplying, the thing supplied; Sup′pliance (Shak.), that which is supplied, gratification.—adj. Supplī′ant (Shak.), supplying, auxiliary.—adv. Sup′pliantly.—ns. Supplī′er, one who supplies; Supply′ment (Shak.), a supply.—Commissioner of Supply, one of the body forming the chief county authority in Scotland for administrative and rating purposes, down to 1889.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
The procurement, distribution, maintenance while in storage, and salvage of supplies, including the determination of kind and quantity of supplies. a. producer
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Supply' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1503
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Supply' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1949
Rank popularity for the word 'Supply' in Nouns Frequency: #478
Rank popularity for the word 'Supply' in Verbs Frequency: #279
The numerical value of Supply in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of Supply in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.
They call upon us to supply American boys to do the job that Asian boys should do.
Nothing has changed on the supply side. Unless there are some supply cuts, oil markets can't be strong at the moment.
God is never concerned with the supply of our wants including yours. Yes, he is only concerned with the supply of your necessities.
OPEC was much too optimistic on non-OPEC supply, it is reasonable to cut supply growth outside OPEC, given the recent developments in the U.S. rig count.
Images & Illustrations of Supply
Translations for Supply
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- fornir, subministrar, proveirCatalan, Valencian
- poskytnout, nabídka, zásobaCzech
- leverance, yde, forsynings-, afhjælpe, levere, erstatte, forsyning, skaffe, udbud, føde-, forråd, vikariereDanish
- liefern, vertreten, versorgen, Versorgung, Vorrat, Angebot, zur Verfügung stellen, ausrüsten, bereitstellenGerman
- proveer, municionar, abastecer, suplir, suministro, oferta, útil, abasto, provisiones, suministrar, abastecimiento, equiparSpanish
- varustama, varustusEstonian
- tarjonta, toimittaa, budjetti, talousarvio, tarjota, korvata, syöttää, [[toimia]] [[sijaisena]], täyttää, pitää hallussaan, hankkia, [[vastata]] [[kysyntään]], [[tyydyttää]] [[kysyntä]], täydentää, eväs, sijainen, muona, toimitus, varustaa, tarvikkeet, sijaistaaFinnish
- fournir, approvisionnement, approvisionnerFrench
- pótol, helyettesít, ellát, felszerelHungarian
- supplire, fornitura, fornire, approvvigionamento, rifornireItalian
- 供給, 埋め合わせる, 補填, 配給, 補給, 支給, 代理を務めるJapanese
- prover, provisão, suprirPortuguese
- alimentare, aprovizionare, provizie, rezervăRomanian
- поставка, снабдить, снаряжать, поставлять, снарядить, снабжение, пополнить, снабжать, предложение, запас, поставить, припасы, пополнятьRussian
- snàbdjeti, opskr̀bitiSerbo-Croatian
- avhjälpa, tillgodose, gottgöra, leverera, supplera, förseSwedish
Get even more translations for Supply »
Find a translation for the Supply definition in other languages:
Select another language: