the time in the evening at which the sun begins to fall below the horizon
atmospheric phenomena accompanying the daily disappearance of the sun
the daily event of the sun sinking below the horizon
of a declining industry or technology
providing for termination
"a program with a sunset provision"
The time of day when the sun disappears below the western horizon.
The changes in color of the sky at sunset.
The final period of the life of a person or thing.
Of or relating to the final period of the life of a person or thing.
one's sunset years
Having a set termination date.
The tax increase legislation included a sunset clause requiring renewal to prevent the tax increase from expiring.
To phase out.
We'll be sunsetting version 1.9 of the software shortly after releasing version 2.0 next quarter.
alt. of Sunsetting
Sunset or sundown is the daily disappearance of the Sun below the western half of the horizon, i.e. at an azimuth greater than 180 degrees, as a result of Earth's rotation. The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun's disk disappears below the horizon. The ray path of light from the setting Sun is highly distorted near the horizon because of atmospheric refraction, making the sunset appear to occur when the Sun’s disk is already about one diameter below the horizon. Sunset is distinct from dusk, which is the time at which the sky becomes completely dark, which occurs when the Sun is approximately eighteen degrees below the horizon. The period between sunset and dusk is called twilight. Locations north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle experience no sunset or sunrise at least one day of the year, when the polar day or the polar night persist continuously for 24 hours. Sunset creates unique atmospheric conditions such as the often intense orange and red colors of the Sun and the surrounding sky.
The numerical value of Sunset in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of Sunset in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If I can put one touch of rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman, I shall feel that I have worked with God.
Frost When was the last time you stopped to appreciate a good sunset- oh yeah that's right. You were born a vampire.
All architecture is great architecture after sunset perhaps architecture is really a nocturnal art, like the art of fireworks.
What is life It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.
Three years ago, we were seen as a sunset movement, but not anymore! finland is in a very difficult situation. We need exceptional degrees of cooperation so that we can overcome the difficulties.
Images & Illustrations of Sunset
Translations for Sunset
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مغرب, غروب, غروب الشمسArabic
- ཉི་ནུབ, ཉི་རྒསTibetan Standard
- západ, západ slunceCzech
- machlud haulWelsh
- Sonnenuntergang, LebensabendGerman
- δύση, ηλιοβασίλεμαGreek
- sunsubiro, sunfaloEsperanto
- puesta del sol, ocaso, la puesta del solSpanish
- illansuu, auringonlasku, iltaruskoFinnish
- machclud, crépuscule, coucher de soleil, le coucher du soleilFrench
- dol fodha na grèineScottish Gaelic
- alkony, naplemente, napnyugta, alkonypírHungarian
- մայրամուտ, արևամուտArmenian
- sólsetur, sólarlag, sólfallIcelandic
- 黄昏, 夕焼け, 日没Japanese
- მზის ჩასვლაGeorgian
- 해넘이, 黃昏, 황혼, 저녁놀Korean
- ڕۆژ ئاواKurdish
- crepusculum, solis occasumLatin
- SonnenënnergangLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- залез, зајдисонцеMacedonian
- zachód słońca, zmierzchPolish
- poente, crepúsculo, ocaso, sol-pôr, pôr-do-sol, Por do solPortuguese
- crepuscul, apus, declin, asfințire, apus de soareRomanian
- заход солнца, заря, закат, закат солнцаRussian
- залазница, залазак сунца, zálaz, zalazak sunca, zalaznica, за́лазSerbo-Croatian
- sončni zahodSlovene
- gün batımı, gün batımTurkish
- hoàng hônVietnamese
- solamodonikam, modonikam solaVolapük
- זונפֿאַרגאַנגען, זונפֿאַרגאַנגYiddish
Get even more translations for Sunset »
Find a translation for the Sunset definition in other languages:
Select another language: