Definitions for Steerstɪər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Steer
tip, lead, steer, confidential information, wind, hint(noun)
an indication of potential opportunity
"he got a tip on the stock market"; "a good lead for a job"
steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, head, guide, channelize, channelise(verb)
direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
direct (oneself) somewhere
"Steer clear of him"
be a guiding or motivating force or drive
"The teacher steered the gifted students towards the more challenging courses"
a young male of the ox kind; especially, a common ox; a castrated taurine male from two to four years old. See the Note under Ox
to castrate; -- said of male calves
to direct the course of; to guide; to govern; -- applied especially to a vessel in the water
to direct a vessel in its course; to direct one's course
to be directed and governed; to take a direction, or course; to obey the helm; as, the boat steers easily
to conduct one's self; to take or pursue a course of action
a rudder or helm
a helmsman, a pilot
Origin: [OE. steeren, steren, AS. stiran, stran, steran; akin to OFries. stiora, stiura, D. sturen, OD. stieren, G. steuern, OHG. stiuren to direct, support, G. steuer contribution, tax, Icel. stra to steer, govern, Sw. styra, Dan. styre, Goth. stiurjan to establish, AS. ster a rudder, a helm, and probably to Icel. staurr a pale, stake, Gr. stayro`s, and perhaps ultimately to E. stand. 168. Cf. Starboard, Stern, n.]
"Steer" is the first single from Missy Higgins' second album On a Clear Night. The song was released in Australia on 14 April 2007 and became #1 most added track in that same week. The CD single achieved the #1 spot on the Australian Singles Chart in the first week of its CD release. It is Higgins' second #1 single, her first being her debut single "Scar" from her first album The Sound of White. Higgins stated that the song was "about steers" and that she wrote it after overlooking the entire Southern Celestial Sphere from a bay in Western Australia. The song has a clean, upbeat feel with vocals that ascend into many high-pitched lyrics. It has instrument backings of acoustic guitar and drums. The song is available to listen to at the website of Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph. In March 2007, Higgins gave fans the exclusive opportunity to pre-order a personally signed copy of her single 'Steer' via SMS.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'Steer' in Verbs Frequency: #1028
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We steer them away.
To drift is to be in hell; to be in heaven is to steer.
That's where we need to steer the conversation, that's where the anger is.
They trained for around three hours until they knew how to steer. They were really very good.
'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world.
Images & Illustrations of Steer
Translations for Steer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ثور, قادArabic
- guiar, capar, dirigir, castrar, manejar, durCatalan, Valencian
- řídit, vůlCzech
- styre, studDanish
- Mastochse, Ochse, steuernGerman
- mantener, buey, llevar, manejarSpanish
- juhtima, karjatamaEstonian
- härkä, vinkki, johdatella, ajaa, ohjata, ohjailla, johdattaa, paimentaaFinnish
- boeuf, dirigerFrench
- boi, capar, castrarGalician
- נוהג ב-, מנהל (שיחה), מנחה, נוהג, מובילHebrew
- kormányoz, irányít, [[fiatal]] [[ökör]], terel, vezetHungarian
- guidare, dirigere, condurre, manzo, dirigersi, governare, manovrareItalian
- 運転する, 操舵する, 率いる, 導く, 操縦する, 舵を取る, 去勢雄牛, 助言Japanese
- მართვა, გარეკვა, მირეკავს, მართავს, გამართვა, მოზვერი, რჩევაGeorgian
- iuvencus, gubernōLatin
- rūnā, whakatere, urungi, ōkiha, tia, ueMāori
- os, besturenDutch
- direcionar, guiar, boi, conduzir, levar a, orientarPortuguese
- управлять, веcти́, веcти́ (разговор, беседу), править, руль, водить, паcти́, бычок-кастратRussian
- upravljati, kormilariti, navoditi, usmjeravati, gonitiSerbo-Croatian
- styra, leda, stutSwedish
Get even more translations for Steer »
Find a translation for the Steer definition in other languages:
Select another language: