Definitions for Spawnspɔn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Spawn
the mass of eggs deposited by fish or amphibians or molluscs
engender, breed, spawn(verb)
"The salmon swims upstream to spawn"
The numerous eggs of an aquatic organism
Mushroom mycelium prepared for (aided) propagation
(by extension) Any germ or seed, even a figurative source; offspring
The location in a game where characters or objects spontaneously appear.
To produce or deposit (eggs) in water.
To generate, bring into being, especially non-mammalian beings in very large numbers.
To bring forth in general.
To induce (aquatic organisms) to spawn
To plant with fungal spawn
To deposit (numerous) eggs in water.
To reproduce, especially in large numbers.
(To cause) to appear spontaneously in a game at a certain point and time.
Origin: Recorded since 1413; from spawne, spawnen, from espaundre, from espandre, from expandere.
to produce or deposit (eggs), as fishes or frogs do
to bring forth; to generate; -- used in contempt
to deposit eggs, as fish or frogs do
to issue, as offspring; -- used contemptuously
the ova, or eggs, of fishes, oysters, and other aquatic animals
any product or offspring; -- used contemptuously
the buds or branches produced from underground stems
the white fibrous matter forming the matrix from which fungi
Origin: [OE. spanen, OF. espandre, properly, to shed, spread, L. expandere to spread out. See Expand.]
Spawn is a fictional character, a comic book superhero who appears in a monthly comic book of the same name published by Image Comics. Created by writer/artist Todd McFarlane, the character first appeared in Malibu Sun #13. Spawn was ranked 60th on Wizard magazine's list of the Top 200 Comic Book Characters of All Time, 50th on Empire magazine's list of The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters and 36th on IGN's 2011 Top 100 Comic Book Heroes. The series has spun off several other comics, including Angela, Curse of the Spawn, Sam & Twitch, and the Japanese manga Shadows of Spawn. Spawn was adapted into a 1997 feature film, an HBO animated series lasting from 1997 until 1999, and a series of action figures whose high level of detail made McFarlane Toys known in the toy industry.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [techspeak] In Unix parlance, to create a child process from within a process. Technically this is a ‘fork’; the term ‘spawn’ is a bit more general and is used for threads (lightweight processes) as well as traditional heavyweight processes. 2. In gaming, meant to indicate where (spawn-point) and when a player comes to life (or re-spawns) after being killed. Opposite of frag.
Images & Illustrations of Spawn
Translations for Spawn
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- fresaCatalan, Valencian
- Laich, Myzelfäden, Ausgeburt, laichen, erzeugen, Fischlaich, Froschlaich, ablaichen, Ausgeburt des Teufels, hervorbringen, vermehrenGerman
- اشپل, تخمریزیPersian
- kutu, kuteaFinnish
- cladhScottish Gaelic
- riprodursi, generare, dare alla luceItalian
- Läich, läichenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- nārstot, ikriLatvian
- порождение, порождать, нереститься, икра, грибница, выводок, метать, отродье, плодиться, мицелий, потомствоRussian
- spora, ikra, potomakSerbo-Croatian
- nesil, yumurtlamak, meydana getirmek, oluşturmak, durmadan doğurmak, yumurta, soy, zürriyet, ortaya çıkmak, dölTurkish
- fitanögem, froganögemVolapük
Get even more translations for Spawn »
Find a translation for the Spawn definition in other languages:
Select another language: