Definitions for Scholarˈskɒl ər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Scholar
scholar, scholarly person, bookman, student(noun)
a learned person (especially in the humanities); someone who by long study has gained mastery in one or more disciplines
learner, scholar, assimilator(noun)
someone (especially a child) who learns (as from a teacher) or takes up knowledge or beliefs
a student who holds a scholarship
A student; one who studies at school or college.
A specialist in a particular branch of knowledge.
A learned person; a bookman.
One who educates themself for their whole life.
Origin: From scoler, from scolere, from scholaris, from schola, equivalent to .
one who attends a school; one who learns of a teacher; one under the tuition of a preceptor; a pupil; a disciple; a learner; a student
one engaged in the pursuits of learning; a learned person; one versed in any branch, or in many branches, of knowledge; a person of high literary or scientific attainments; a savant
a man of books
in English universities, an undergraduate who belongs to the foundation of a college, and receives support in part from its revenues
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. An ornate fossil. 2. A deadly ptomain that infests all forms of dynamic thought. 3. An impenetrable mass of matter that contains within itself the principle of unchangeability. 4. A turtle on whose shell is carved certain hieroglyphic lettering; such as, Ph. D., M. D., LL. D. 5. A medieval owl that roosts in universities, especially those that are endowed. 6. A plaster-of-Paris convolute. 7. A man, long on advice but short on action, who thinks he thinks. 8. One who draws his breath and salary. 9. Anybody with a bulging brow and no visible means of support.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'Scholar' in Nouns Frequency: #1984
Translations for Scholar
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- erudiciulo, erudiciulinoEsperanto
- sabio, erudito, docto, estudioso, especialistaSpanish
- savant, éruditFrench
- eòlaiche, sgoilearScottish Gaelic
- studioso, docente, erudito, professore, dotto, professoressaItalian
- zinātnieks, zinātnieceLatvian
- پوهاندPashto, Pushto
- especialista, erudito, acadêmico, douto, estudiosoPortuguese
- bilgin, âlimTurkish
Get even more translations for Scholar »
Find a translation for the Scholar definition in other languages:
Select another language: