Definitions for SOsoʊ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word SO
sol, soh, so(adverb)
the syllable naming the fifth (dominant) note of any musical scale in solmization
to a very great extent or degree
"the idea is so obvious"; "never been so happy"; "I love you so"; "my head aches so!"
in a manner that facilitates
"he observed the snakes so he could describe their behavior"; "he stooped down so he could pick up his hat"
in such a condition or manner, especially as expressed or implied
"They're happy and I hope they will remain so"; "so live your life that old age will bring no regrets"
to a certain unspecified extent or degree
"I can only go so far with this student"; "can do only so much in a day"
in the same way; also
"I was offended and so was he"; "worked hard and so did she"
thus, thusly, so(adverb)
in the way indicated
"hold the brush so"; "set up the pieces thus"; (`thusly' is a nonstandard variant)
(usually followed by `that') to an extent or degree as expressed
"he was so tired he could hardly stand"; "so dirty that it smells"
then, so, and so, and then(adverb)
subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors)
"then he left"; "go left first, then right"; "first came lightning, then thunder"; "we watched the late movie and then went to bed"; "and so home and to bed"
therefore, hence, thence, thus, so(adverb)
(used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result
"therefore X must be true"; "the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory"; "we were young and thence optimistic"; "it is late and thus we must go"; "the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted"
in truth (often tends to intensify)
"they said the car would break down and indeed it did"; "it is very cold indeed"; "was indeed grateful"; "indeed, the rain may still come"; "he did so do it!"
A syllable used in solfu00E8ge to represent the fifth note of a major scale.
To the extent that
To a particular extent.
I need a piece of cloth long. [= this long]
In a particular manner.
Place the napkin on the table just so.
In the same manner or to the same extent as aforementioned; also.
In that state or manner; with that attribute. ()
Is he so?
In order that.
Eat your broccoli so you can have dessert.
With the result that; for that reason; therefore.
Provided that; on condition that, as long as.
Used after a pause for thought to introduce a new topic, question or story.
Shortened form of "So what?"
"You park your car in front of my house every morning." "So?"
A Mon-Khmer-speaking people of Laos and Thailand.
in that manner or degree; as, indicated (in any way), or as implied, or as supposed to be known
in like manner or degree; in the same way; thus; for like reason; whith equal reason; -- used correlatively, following as, to denote comparison or resemblance; sometimes, also, following inasmuch as
in such manner; to such degree; -- used correlatively with as or that following; as, he was so fortunate as to escape
very; in a high degree; that is, in such a degree as can not well be expressed; as, he is so good; he planned so wisely
in the same manner; as has been stated or suggested; in this or that condition or state; under these circumstances; in this way; -- with reflex reference to something just asserted or implied; used also with the verb to be, as a predicate
the case being such; therefore; on this account; for this reason; on these terms; -- used both as an adverb and a conjuction
it is well; let it be as it is, or let it come to pass; -- used to express assent
well; the fact being as stated; -- used as an expletive; as, so the work is done, is it?
is it thus? do you mean what you say? -- with an upward tone; as, do you say he refuses? So?
about the number, time, or quantity specified; thereabouts; more or less; as, I will spend a week or so in the country; I have read only a page or so
provided that; on condition that; in case that; if
be as you are; stand still; stop; that will do; right as you are; -- a word used esp. to cows; also used by sailors
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. (also S.O.) Abbrev. for Significant Other, almost invariably written abbreviated and pronounced /S·O/ by hackers. Used to refer to one's primary relationship, esp. a live-in to whom one is not married. See MOTAS, MOTOS, MOTSS. 2. [techspeak] The Shift Out control character in ASCII (Control-N, 0001110).
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SO' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #65
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SO' in Written Corpus Frequency: #33
Rank popularity for the word 'SO' in Adverbs Frequency: #1
O's, OS, o's, os
Translations for SO
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ف, يعني, لذاArabic
- tan, així, perquè, això, doncs, açò, així queCatalan, Valencian
- tak, takhle, takto, abyCzech
- sådan, såDanish
- so, sehr, sodass, also, damit, [[um]] ... [[zu]]German
- τόσο, έτσι, [[για]] [[να]], λοιπόν, [[γιαGreek
- tiel, tre, tiom, por keEsperanto
- tan, así, pues, así queSpanish
- niin, tosi, niinpä, jotta, jotenFinnish
- ainsi, si, tellement, comme ça, aussi, vraiment, alors, donc, afin que, le, pour queFrench
- cho, mar sinScottish Gaelic
- इतना, ऐसा, तोHindi
- annyira, úgy, olyan, hogyHungarian
- այնքան, ուստիArmenian
- tanto, così, veramente, allora, perché, affinchéItalian
- そう, この[[よう]]に, [[それ]]ほど, こんな, とても, だから, ため, では, じゃJapanese
- 매우, 그렇게, 너무, 그래서, 위해, 그래, 으로Korean
- tam, sic, ergoLatin
- -nya, sangat, agar, supaya, jadiMalay
- zo, zodanig, zodat, zodoende, dusDutch
- slik, såNorwegian
- tak, abyPolish
- چې, نوPashto, Pushto
- tão, assim, para que, e aí, entãoPortuguese
- atât, așa, deci, așadarRomanian
- так, о́чень, поэ́тому, тако́й, и, та́к что, что́бы, ита́кRussian
- tàkō, та̀ко̄Serbo-Croatian
- takto, takSlovak
- اتنا, توUrdu
- như vậy, vậyVietnamese
- si, come çoula, si télmint, inla, insi, come çaWalloon
Get even more translations for SO »
Find a translation for the SO definition in other languages:
Select another language: