request, petition, postulation(noun)
a formal message requesting something that is submitted to an authority
the verbal act of requesting
request, bespeak, call for, quest(verb)
express the need or desire for; ask for
"She requested an extra bed in her room"; "She called for room service"
ask (a person) to do something
"She asked him to be here at noon"; "I requested that she type the entire manuscript"
inquire for (information)
"I requested information from the secretary"
Act of requesting.
Formal message requesting something.
condition of being sought after.
to express the need or desire for
to ask somebody to do something
Origin: From requeste (French: requête), from *requæsita, from requisita, feminine of requisitus, past participle of .
the act of asking for anything desired; expression of desire or demand; solicitation; prayer; petition; entreaty
that which is asked for or requested
a state of being desired or held in such estimation as to be sought after or asked for; demand
to ask for (something); to express desire ffor; to solicit; as, to request his presence, or a favor
to address with a request; to ask
Request is the second album by South African Gothic rock band The Awakening released during April 1998. Taking a step towards the New Romantic sound, Request brought the band more exposure and club rotation with three singles as well as their first music video for "Rain."
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
rē-kwest′, v.t. to ask for earnestly: to entreat: to desire.—n. petition: prayer: desire: demand: that which is requested: a want: a question: the state of being desired.—n. Request′er.—Request note, in the inland revenue, an application to obtain a permit for removing excisable articles: programme.—Court of Requests, a former Court of Equity in England, inferior to the Court of Chancery, abolished in 1641: a local tribunal instituted in London by Henry VIII. for the recovery of small debts—called also Court of Conscience: Letters of Request, the formal instrument by which in English ecclesiastical law an inferior judge waives his jurisdiction over a cause, and refers it to a higher court. [O. Fr. requeste (Fr. requête)—L. requisitum, pa.p. of requirĕre—re-, away, quærĕre, to seek.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'REQUEST' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2662
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'REQUEST' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3830
Rank popularity for the word 'REQUEST' in Nouns Frequency: #907
Rank popularity for the word 'REQUEST' in Verbs Frequency: #599
The numerical value of REQUEST in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of REQUEST in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A fair request should be followed by the deed in silence.
If I should ever be captured, I want no negotiation-and if I should request a negotiation from captivity they should consider that a sign of duress.
People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.
It is winter time! Feed the birds! Teach your children to feed the birds! Request your neighbour to feed the birds! Encourage your friends to feed the birds!
I ask you all to vote for this request today. The government didn’t submit the request easily, it's a last attempt to fulfil this extraordinarily difficult task.
Images & Illustrations of REQUEST
Translations for REQUEST
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- запытаць, запытвацьBelarusian
- petició, demanar, sol·licitudCatalan, Valencian
- žádat, žádost, požádat, prosbaCzech
- ansøgning, anmodeDanish
- Ersuchen, Bitte, Antrag, Anfrage, anfordern, Nachfrage, Begehr, begehren, erbitten, Ansinnen, Wunsch, verlangen nach, Gesuch, bitten um, Eingabe, erwünschenGerman
- pedir, petición, solicitud, demandaSpanish
- paluma, soovima, tellimusEstonian
- طلب کردن, درخواستن, درخواست کردن, درخواستPersian
- pyytää, anoa, pyyntöFinnish
- demander, requête, demande, prierFrench
- iarrtas, iarr, iarraidhScottish Gaelic
- kívánság, kérvény, kereslet, kérésHungarian
- խնդրանք, խնդրել, հարցում, հարցապնդում, խնդիր, հայցել, խնդիրք, պահանջարկArmenian
- 要求, 頼む, 依頼, 要望する, 要請する, 求めるJapanese
- 付託, 要求, 요구, 부탁하다, 要望, 부탁, 요망Korean
- تکا, doz, خواست, tika, داوا, داوا کردن, rica, dawa, daxwazKurdish
- prasīšana, prasīt, lūgšana, lūgt, prasība, lūgumsLatvian
- барање, баранMacedonian
- verzoeken, verzoek, vraagDutch
- requerer, requisição, pedir, requerimento, pedido, solicitarPortuguese
- cere, ruga, cerereRomanian
- запрос, просьба, запрашивать, требование, требовать, ходатайство, заявка, запроситьRussian
- be, anhållan, önskemål, utbedja, anmodan, uppmana, anhålla om, bön, utbe, begära, efterfrågan, begäran, bedja, önskan, anmodaSwedish
- ombi, maombiSwahili
- 請求, yêu cầu, 要求, thỉnh cầuVietnamese
Get even more translations for REQUEST »
Find a translation for the REQUEST definition in other languages:
Select another language: