Definitions for REARrɪər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word REAR
the back of a military formation or procession
"infantrymen were in the rear"
rear, backside, back end(noun)
the side of an object that is opposite its front
"his room was toward the rear of the hotel"
the part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer
"he stood at the back of the stage"; "it was hidden in the rear of the store"
buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass(noun)
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
the side that goes last or is not normally seen
"he wrote the date on the back of the photograph"
located in or toward the back or rear
"the chair's rear legs"; "the rear door of the plane"; "on the rearward side"
rear, rise up(verb)
stand up on the hind legs, of quadrupeds
"The horse reared in terror"
rear, raise, bring up, nurture, parent(verb)
"raise a family"; "bring up children"
rise, lift, rear(verb)
"The building rose before them"
cause to rise up
raise, erect, rear, set up, put up(verb)
construct, build, or erect
"Raise a barn"
the back or hindmost part; that which is behind, or last in order; -- opposed to front
specifically, the part of an army or fleet which comes last, or is stationed behind the rest
being behind, or in the hindmost part; hindmost; as, the rear rank of a company
to place in the rear; to secure the rear of
to raise; to lift up; to cause to rise, become erect, etc.; to elevate; as, to rear a monolith
to erect by building; to set up; to construct; as, to rear defenses or houses; to rear one government on the ruins of another
to lift and take up
to bring up to maturity, as young; to educate; to instruct; to foster; as, to rear offspring
to breed and raise; as, to rear cattle
to rouse; to stir up
to rise up on the hind legs, as a horse; to become erect
Origin: [OF. riere behind, backward, fr. L. retro. Cf. Arrear.]
In military parlance, the rear is the part of concentration of military forces that is farthest from the enemy. The rear typically contains all elements of the force necessary to support combat forces - food, medical supplies and substantial shelters, planners and command headquarters.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'REAR' in Nouns Frequency: #2755
Rank popularity for the word 'REAR' in Adjectives Frequency: #811
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
What we do know is that one vehicle rear ended the other.
Attention is needed for safety technology in the rear of vehicles.
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
Fear the goat from the front, the horse from the rear and man from all sides.
We just can’t let segregation rear its ugly head in Florida again. This is part of Islamophobia that we need to challenge.
Images & Illustrations of REAR
Translations for REAR
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- zadní, vychovatCzech
- aufrichten, erziehen, Nachhut, großziehen, aufziehenGerman
- retaguardia, erigir, criar, posteriorSpanish
- peräpää, takaosa, taka-, pystyttää, nostaa, kasvattaa, [[nousta]] [[takajalka, takajoukko, perä, kohottaaFinnish
- derrière, élever, arrière, ériger, arrière-gardeFrench
- togScottish Gaelic
- hátsó, hátvédHungarian
- sollevare, retro, retroguardia, sollevarsi, crescere, innalzare, edificare, didietro, elevare, posterioreItalian
- 飼育する, しんがり, 後ろ, 育てる, 後方の, 後ろの, 後ろ足立ちする, 後方, そびえ立つJapanese
- پێگهیشتن, پهروهرده کردنKurdish
- tānapu, whakatupu, muri, kumu, whakatipuMāori
- steigeren, oprichten, achterkant, opvoeden, construeren, verheffen, achterwerk, achtereind, grootbrengen, achterste, achter, achterhoede, kwekenDutch
- څټ, شاPashto, Pushto
- alçar, erguer, criar, zaga, traseiro, traseira, erigir, retaguarda, construir, levantarPortuguese
- вставать на дыбы, воздвигать, выращивать, возводить, возносить, тыл, задняя часть, воспитывать, сооружать, возвышать, поднимать, воспитать, возвысить, задняя сторона, соорудить, водвигнуть, поднять, задний, вырастить, возвести, вознестиRussian
Get even more translations for REAR »
Find a translation for the REAR definition in other languages:
Select another language: