telephone, phone, telephone set(noun)
electronic equipment that converts sound into electrical signals that can be transmitted over distances and then converts received signals back into sounds
"I talked to him on the telephone"
phone, speech sound, sound(noun)
(phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
earphone, earpiece, headphone, phone(noun)
electro-acoustic transducer for converting electric signals into sounds; it is held over or inserted into the ear
"it was not the typing but the earphones that she disliked"
call, telephone, call up, phone, ring(verb)
get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
"I tried to call you all night"; "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
To get or try to get into communication with, using a telephone; as, I phoned him this morning.
A speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties, considered as a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language.
Origin: Shortening of telephone.
In phonetics and linguistics a phone is a unit of speech sound. The word phone may refer to any speech sound or gesture considered a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language. In contrast, a phoneme is a set of phones or a set of sound features that are thought of as the same element within the phonology of a particular language. A phone is a speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties, and serves as the basic unit of phonetic speech analysis. A phonetic transcription is enclosed within square brackets, rather than the slashes of a phonemic transcription.
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
Colloquial abbreviation for telephone.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Phone' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1907
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Phone' in Written Corpus Frequency: #595
Rank popularity for the word 'Phone' in Nouns Frequency: #662
Rank popularity for the word 'Phone' in Verbs Frequency: #559
The numerical value of Phone in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of Phone in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me
All that Hubert needs over there is a gal to answer the phone and a pencil with an eraser on it.
The government is unresponsive to the needs of the little man. Under 5'7, it is impossible to get your congressman on the phone.
A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely.
I've today been informed by CPS that no further action will be taken against me re Met Police phone hacking investigation, as I’ve said since the investigation began four years ago, I’ve never hacked a phone and nor have I ever told anybody to hack a phone.
Images & Illustrations of Phone
Translations for Phone
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- هاتف, تلفن, تلفونArabic
- пазваніць, тэлефанаваць, тэлефон, званіць, патэлефанавацьBelarusian
- telèfonCatalan, Valencian
- telefonovat, telefon, hláska, volatCzech
- ffôn, ffonioWelsh
- Fonem, Fernsprecher, anrufen, Telefon, Phonem, Telephon, telefonierenGerman
- καλώ, τηλέφωνο, τηλεφωνώGreek
- telefono, telefoniEsperanto
- teléfono, telefonear, fono, llamar por teléfonoSpanish
- foon, häälikEstonian
- تلفن, دورواژیدن, تلفن کردن, دورواژPersian
- puhelin, äänne, soittaaFinnish
- téléphone, phone, téléphoner, appelerFrench
- foghar, fónIrish
- foghar, fònScottish Gaelic
- pumbyry, mopumbyryGuaraní
- दूरभाष, फ़ोन करना, फ़ोन, टेलीफ़ोनHindi
- telefon, telefonálHungarian
- հեռախոս, զանգելArmenian
- telephono, telephonarInterlingua
- sími, hringjaIcelandic
- telefono, fono, telefonareItalian
- 電話をかける, 音韻, 電話する, 電話, 音素Japanese
- 전화, 전화하다, 電話, 전화를 걸다Korean
- Telefon, telefonéieren, Telephon, uruffenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- skambinti, telefonasLithuanian
- telefonēt, telefons, tālrunis, zvanīt, piezvanītLatvian
- telefoneren, telefoonDutch
- béésh bee haneʼéNavajo, Navaho
- telefon, głoska, dzwonić, telefonowaćPolish
- telefonar, telefone, chamarPortuguese
- телефон, фо́на, звонить, фоне́ма, позвонить, телефонироватьRussian
- ڏُور وايو, ڏُور وائڻُSindhi
- telefón, telefonovať, zatelefonovať, volať, zavolaťSlovak
- mohala, telefonoSouthern Sotho
- ringa, telefonera, telefon, fonSwedish
- โทรศัพท์, โทรThai
- telefon etmekTurkish
- телефон, дзвонити, подзвонитиUkrainian
- فون کرنا, ٹیلیفون, فونUrdu
- 電話, dây nói, kêu điện thoại, điện thoại, gọi điện thoại, gọi điệnVietnamese
Get even more translations for Phone »
Find a translation for the Phone definition in other languages:
Select another language: