Definitions for PUZZLEˈpʌz əl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word PUZZLE
puzzle, puzzler, mystifier, teaser(noun)
a particularly baffling problem that is said to have a correct solution
"he loved to solve chessmate puzzles"; "that's a real puzzler"
a game that tests your ingenuity
perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound(verb)
be a mystery or bewildering to
"This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
be uncertain about; think about without fully understanding or being able to decide
"We puzzled over her sudden departure"
Anything that is difficult to understand or make sense of.
Where he went after he left the house is a puzzle.
A game for one person that is more or less difficult to work out or complete.
A crossword puzzle.
A jigsaw puzzle.
To perplex (someone).
something which perplexes or embarrasses; especially, a toy or a problem contrived for testing ingenuity; also, something exhibiting marvelous skill in making
the state of being puzzled; perplexity; as, to be in a puzzle
to perplex; to confuse; to embarrass; to put to a stand; to nonplus
to make intricate; to entangle
to solve by ingenuity, as a puzzle; -- followed by out; as, to puzzle out a mystery
to be bewildered, or perplexed
to work, as at a puzzle; as, to puzzle over a problem
Origin: [For opposal, in the sense of problem. See Oppose, Pose, v.]
A puzzle is a problem or enigma that tests the ingenuity of the solver. In a basic puzzle, one is intended to put together pieces in a logical way in order to come up with the desired solution. Puzzles are often contrived as a form of entertainment, but they can also stem from serious mathematical or logistical problems — in such cases, their successful resolution can be a significant contribution to mathematical research. Solutions to puzzles may require recognizing patterns and creating a particular order. People with a high inductive reasoning aptitude may be better at solving these puzzles than others. Puzzles based on the process of inquiry and discovery to complete may be solved faster by those with good deduction skills.
A type of game or toy created and designed in various colors, materials, mechanisms, shapes, sizes and styles to test your ingenuity and ability to solve something and find a solution.
There are a variety of puzzles on the market, an example of a ingenius one is the rubix cube which created a desire to solve within so many for years.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
All the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.
The deciphering of the scroll, which was a puzzle for us for 45 years, is very exciting.
I think the main attraction isn't the horror, it's the puzzle, (It's) the bringing of order out of disorder.
Life is like a puzzle, sometimes you have to take a step back, look at it and see if you are missing any pieces.
How do you stay in this market and do the least damage to your core business - that's the puzzle everybody is focusing on now.
Translations for PUZZLE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- معضلة, لغز, بازل, أحجيةArabic
- башватҡыс, йомаҡBashkir
- záhada, hádanka, hlavolamCzech
- Puzzle, Geduldspiel, Rätsel, [[durcheinander]] [[bringen]], verwirren, GeduldsspielGerman
- dejar perplejo, rompecabezas, intrigar, puzle, desconcertar, enigmaSpanish
- pähkinä, pulma, tehtävä, arvoitus, askarruttaaFinnish
- puzzle, casse-tête, jeu de patience, mystère, devinette, énigmeFrench
- dubh-fhacalScottish Gaelic
- rompicapo, indovinello, misteroItalian
- 判じ物, 謎, パズルJapanese
- whakapōkaikaha, panga, whakapōkīkīMāori
- гатанка, загаткаMacedonian
- verwarren, raadsel, hersenbreker, mysterie, verbijsteren, puzzel, in de war brengenDutch
- rebus, łamigłówka, zagadkaPolish
- enigma, confundir, desconcertar, intrigar, desafio, charadaPortuguese
- загадка, ребус, затруднение, головоломка, пазлRussian
- zȁgonētka, загонетка, smȅsti, zbúnitiSerbo-Croatian
- hlavolam, hádankaSlovak
- pussel, huvudbry, gåtaSwedish
- головоломка, пазл, загадкаUkrainian
- câu đốVietnamese
Get even more translations for PUZZLE »
Find a translation for the PUZZLE definition in other languages:
Select another language: