Definitions for PATRIOTˈpeɪ tri ət, -ˌɒt; esp. Brit. ˈpæ tri ət
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word PATRIOT
one who loves and defends his or her country
A person who loves and zealously supports and defends his or her country.
A US surface-to-air missile system.
An individual Patriot missile
Origin: From the patriote around 1600, from patriota from the πατριώτης, from πατρίς, from πατήρ.
one who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority and interests
becoming to a patriot; patriotic
Patriots were the colonists of the British Thirteen United Colonies who violently rebelled against British control during the American Revolution and in July 1776 declared the United States of America an independent nation. Their rebellion was based on the political philosophy of republicanism, as expressed by pamphleteers, such as Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Paine. As a group, Patriots represented a wide array of social, economic, ethnic and racial backgrounds. They included lawyers like John Adams and Alexander Hamilton; planters like Thomas Jefferson and George Mason; merchants like Alexander McDougall and ordinary farmers like Daniel Shays and Joseph Plumb Martin.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
One who is willing to take all of Uncle Sam's bonds in a lump.
Translations for PATRIOT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- патрыётка, патрыётBelarusian
- патриот, родолюбецBulgarian
- patriotaCatalan, Valencian
- Patriotin, Vaterlandsliebhaber, Patriot, Vaterlandsfreundin, Vaterlandsfreund, VaterlandsliebhaberinGerman
- fosturlandsvinur, føðilandsvinurFaroese
- dooinney dooie, graihder çheereyManx
- föðurlandsvinur, ættjarðarvinurIcelandic
- 애국자, 愛國者Korean
- نیشتیمان پهروهرKurdish
- amantissimus rei publicae,Latin
- патриот, родољубец, родољубMacedonian
- патриотка, патриотRussian
- domoljub, rodoljubac, patriot, domoljubac, rodoljub, патриотSerbo-Croatian
- vlastenec, patriotSlovak
- domoljubka, patriotka, domoljub, rodoljub, patriotinja, rodoljubka, patriotSlovene
- atdhetare, atdhetarAlbanian
- vatansever, yurtseverTurkish
- патріотка, патріотUkrainian
- người yêu nướcVietnamese
- lomänälan, hilomänälan, jilomänälanVolapük
Get even more translations for PATRIOT »
Find a translation for the PATRIOT definition in other languages:
Select another language: