Definitions for Nonsenseˈnɒn sɛns, -səns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Nonsense
nonsense, bunk, nonsensicality, meaninglessness, hokum(noun)
a message that seems to convey no meaning
folderal, falderol, frill, gimcrackery, gimcrack, nonsense, trumpery(adj)
ornamental objects of no great value
having no intelligible meaning
"nonsense syllables"; "a nonsensical jumble of words"
Letters or words, in writing or speech, that have no meaning or seem to have no meaning.
After my father had a stroke, every time he tried to talk, it sounded like nonsense.
An untrue statement.
He says that I stole his computer, but that's just nonsense.
A type of poetry that contains strange or surreal ideas, as, for example, that written by Edward Lear.
A damaged DNA sequence whose products are not biologically active, that is, that does nothing.
To make nonsense of
To attempt to dismiss as nonsense.
To joke around, to waste time
that which is not sense, or has no sense; words, or language, which have no meaning, or which convey no intelligible ideas; absurdity
trifles; things of no importance
Nonsense is a communication, via speech, writing, or any other symbolic system, that lacks any coherent meaning. Sometimes in ordinary usage, nonsense is synonymous with absurdity or the ridiculous. Many poets, novelists and songwriters have used nonsense in their works, often creating entire works using it for reasons ranging from pure comic amusement or satire, to illustrating a point about language or reasoning. In the philosophy of language and philosophy of science, nonsense is distinguished from sense or meaningfulness, and attempts have been made to come up with a coherent and consistent method of distinguishing sense from nonsense. It is also an important field of study in cryptography regarding separating a signal from noise.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Nonsense' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4173
Rank popularity for the word 'Nonsense' in Nouns Frequency: #2142
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of Nonsense
Translations for Nonsense
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- هراء, تفاهة, لغوArabic
- bestiesa, bajanada, estirabotCatalan, Valencian
- nesmysl, nonsensCzech
- Unsinn, Quatsch, Nonsens, BlödsinnGerman
- parida, disparate, tonterías, tontería, estupidez, disparatesSpanish
- بیمعنی, چرندPersian
- toimimaton, hölynpöly, jaksoFinnish
- sottise, non-sensFrench
- amaideas, sgudalScottish Gaelic
- חנטריש, שטויותHebrew
- omong kosongIndonesian
- bull, ruglIcelandic
- assurdità, scemenza, senza senso, idiozia, balla, sciocchezza, fola, priva di significato, a vanvera, fandonia, baggianata, ridicolaggineItalian
- ナンセンス, でたらめ, 馬鹿げた事, 無意味Japanese
- 난센스, 무의미, 헛소리, 어리석은 소리Korean
- قسهی هیچوپوچKurdish
- nonsens, onzin, flauwekulDutch
- bobagem, besteira, burricePortuguese
- nonsens, absurditate, nerozie, nerozii, prostieRomanian
- нонсенс, бессмыслица, ерунда, ахинея, вздор, абсурдRussian
- besmislica, nesmisao, glupost, neistina, budalaštinaSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for Nonsense »
Find a translation for the Nonsense definition in other languages:
Select another language: